Can I disassemble Genesis to fit it Jetta?

DanJC

TVWBB Fan
I want to pick this grill up today, but only have a Jetta -- think I can fit in if I disassemble? I've managed to transport a two-burner before without disassembling, but don't think this would make it.

21e9abce7575cde0406fc4f2368f2be7.jpeg.max600.jpeg

I have dodge caravan, and all the seats fold down. I have to take the lid off and can fit the frame and bottom of the cookbox in my van. Clearance for my trunk is about 38".

Depth, is prob about 16-17", and width is about 4 feet?

Hope that helps figure out if you can fit it in your Jetta or not. Not sure how you managed to get a 2 burner without disassembling, but if you did, maybe you can get this one in their if you fiddle with the cookbox a little.

Sure it will. If you completely disassemble it will fit. No way if you try to fit assembled though.
You might find the bolts that hold the firebox to the frame to be a pain to remove though. All the other bolts should be pretty easy to take off.

I don't think I'd try it, unless you are picking it up from a friends house and he has a nice set of tools and some beers.

Jetta Sedan? First get some big trash bags. Remove the lid and all the loose pieces place in bags in the passenger compartment. then try to stuff the rest in the trunk.

I want to pick this grill up today, but only have a Jetta -- think I can fit in if I disassemble? I've managed to transport a two-burner before without disassembling, but don't think this would make it.

21e9abce7575cde0406fc4f2368f2be7.jpeg.max600.jpeg

Some disassembly will be required. Bring a 7/16" ratchet, adjustable wrench, hammer and channel lock pliers. I've fit the same grill (on two separate occasions) into my 2003 BMW 3-series sedan. I removed the legs and the lower cross bars. I was able to fit the top frame assembly and cookbox into the back seat with the lid riding shotgun. Bring a ziploc bag for all of the hardware you'll be removing, a garbage bag for the flavorizers, grates and drip tray and something (contractor garbage bag, cardboard, etc.) to protect your back seat.

The one part that will prevent you from disassembling this would be that left screw that holds the firebox. It can be easy but yet may need to be drilled out. Once you get that out, it's easy to disassemble. Pop the hood off and put the internals and tables in a cardboard box.

Honestly I would not worry about that. In the past I have simply snapped them off and been done with it

Recently put a Genesis 1000 in a Chevy Volt. Jason simply removed the lid, grates, Flavorizer bars, etc. and laid it on its back in the car.

By the way, if you send me a video of you getting it into your car, I will publish it as another edition of "Will This Weber Grill Fit In The Back Of My Car?"

Well, Chris, YOU are a pro!
Someone posted a link about a NIB ranch kettle I’m thinking...KIA Sportage, no, my old Jeep, you bet! New cars are less roomy as far as “cube shape” it’s just nuts!

Wow, what great responses. Thanks everyone! I ended up driving an hour to pick up my sister's truck because I lacked some of the recommended tools, but next time might follow some of the breakdown advice to do it that way.

Got it home!

Can anyone tell me the model of the grill? The serial and model information had completely faded off! The owner said she's had it for 25 years, so mid-90s.

IMG_5810.jpeg

Last edited:
Try to see if you can make out the first 2 letters. There is a sticky here on how to interpret to determine the birth year. Likely this is a genesis 1000. Durawood looks good. Great unit to restore.

Based on those durawood tables and the deep cookbox I'd say late 90's Genesis 1000-1200 series.
Jeff

Last edited:
Try to see if you can make out the first 2 letters. There is a sticky here on how to interpret to determine the birth year. Likely this is a genesis 1000. Durawood looks good. Great unit to restore.
Nothing. Totally faded.

Later 90s makes sense. My 1997 Spirit/Skyline has the same durawood.

Which brings up a question I've had for a bit -- I've seen this other type of durawood (?) side tables (this grill is from restoredgrills.com) which seem to be have narrow (or no?) gaps between the slats. Are those an earlier or later design than the more common?

600front.jpg

Back