Can a warped firebox be straightened out?

I guess it worked because I was able to register it. I assume the previous owner(s?) never did that. Just wonder how often can you use that? I have a few grills registered on the Weber site. But I don't want to abuse it either. But in this case it saves me the cleaning of the old one. Although I am not discarding that one yet. I will still try to bend it and keep it as a backup cookbox.

Sure, I think maybe 1/10 or less of original owners bother to register their grills. I have registered about a dozen of the grills I have acquired and I didn't have a problem with any of them.

Was the grill you just registered and made a warranty claim on a second hand grill or did you buy it new? I thought it was one you had purchased new. If not, then you are lucky they allowed the claim as their warranty states that it is only for the original owner. You could try to register and claim all your second hand grills and make claims on them. But, you would clearly be trying to circumvent the intent of the warranty. Would it be abuse...yes. But, I am not trying to trying to preach from the morals pulpit.

Bruce, this was for a grill I just purchased. But I also have the Silver B in my registered list which I purchased new around 2007. Although I no longer own it. So lets see if they really ship it for the "new" grill. I know it is kind of warranty abuse. But on the other hand the previous owner never registered it and probably never claimed the warranty. So its my turn now. And in my opinion the warranty should be tied to the product and not the owner. I have nothing to loose and if you guys would have not brought it up I might have never tried it... ;-)

Yep, I get the argument that the grill is what is warrantied, not the owner. Keep us posted.

It is a 2005 Platinum C. However when I registered it with the serial number it showed up on the Weber site as Gold C. According to ereplacementparts the cookboxes are still available for these Genesis Silver/Gold/Platinum models. I just wonder what color it will be. I don't mind if black or grey as long as I get one.. I need to match color with the hood lid anyhow. ;-)
Black. Exact same box they sent me for my Silver C.

I hope no one was planning to get the aluminum glowing in order to straighten it out. From my experience, aluminum isn't like steel or iron that glows long before it melts. I have melted and cast aluminum before and from my experience, it basically melts before it glows. I don't think heating it up to 500-700 degrees would hurt when trying to straighten it out, but I also don't think it is necessary. Like I said before, I have straightened three or for fire boxes over the last couple years with no heat. Just simply putting the box on its back and apply my weight at various points across the front of the fire box. Takes just a few minutes and if you use a yard stick, you can measure how straight it is as you proceed in straightening it. Of course, if you don't want to remove the fire box from the frame, bar clamps are probably the way to go. Again, no real need for any heat IMO.

Bruce, what I was kind of picturing was an series of events kind of like when you go to remove the grill box and that side bolt is stuck. You step through all the normal stuff with WD-40 and other de-rusters. Then you manage to snap off the bolt, so you try to use a reverse drill out tool. That doesn't work so you move on to the next idea and grab a tool punch and try to pound the hell out of it. How many times have we heard stories about that ?>

Take that same kind of mindset and put it into the context of bending a warped firebox back into place. ;)

Ok I tried one more thing. Since the inner liner of the SS hood of that Platinum was rusted out I called them again. Well new hood is on its way. 😂 but looks like it will be a black hood. As per description it is a black hood with SS handle. No idea what the side panels will be. I also checked ereplacementparts and it looks like the SS is no longer available.
Seriously I don’t like to abuse their warranty but I think they really don’t check when the grill was purchased. And on the Silver B I bought brand new in 2008 I never claimed any warranty. With all the grills I went through I never did.
This time they did not even ask for a photo. I have a feeling they will just honor it s long as the grill is registered under your name.
So I can only recommend trying it when you have an older grill and parts that might be still under warranty.

So got the hood. Brand new black hood, black side panels and SS handle. Not a 1:1 replacement for the SS hood with the grey parts but it fits my brand new firebox. 😂
So the grey Platinum grill will then become a black grill. With a SS frame.
With all the other almost new parts I have this will amost become a brand spanking new grill.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ngifcB7ZJgKQLpMf6

Can we see pictures of the inside of that innovative cardboard firebox? Here I’ve been wasting all this time with an aluminum one!

Not yet. I am still working with that paper cup company on a disposable grill box which never requires cleaning. Patents pending... 😂😂

Back