Can’t get TVWBB to load

It'll never complete. If traceroute is failing, the ICMP packets from tvwbb.com aren't getting a full round trip, thus you'll never get a successful ping.

JK, do you think the problem is with my router or my ISP?

Stay at Home is not going to be any fun if I can’t post on tvwbb from my desktop.

I'm not sure, but I'm leaning towards something outside of your network/control. There's nowhere else that's causing you problems?

Chris, I'm gonna ping the office network geeks on Monday about that odd reverse lookup behavior. That sort of smells like somebody misconfigured a record, but that sort of thing shouldn't prevent HTTP/HTTPS traffic. Almost like there's a stuck route somewhere.

Here's their response:

This sounds like a Firewall issue where your client's WiFi connection was blocked by the server. The reason for the block however would need to be researched.

Please provide the IP of your client (when they're connected to WiFi - viewing a webpage like http://ip4.me/ should show their IP address) and then open a new ticket.

Try a better browser than Safari. One of my buddies has mac stuff and he kept calling me with nothing but trouble with them. Constantly with issues like you have. "I used this web site yesterday now it doesn't work" I told him to get Firefox. IMO it's way more stable and much more secure than Safari and it is also much easier to customize. So try Firefox and see what happens. Heck even Chrome is better than Safari (either in the Microsoft flavor or plain Chrome)

Chris, I have to wonder if Support has even read this thread, considering J has posted his traceroute results which contains the address they're looking for. This really is starting to remind me of my prior ISP, who's frontline staff were both not capable as well as not being allowed to deviate from the help script which was adamant that the problem was always in the customer's location (I need to stop, or I'll be diving into the bourbon before 10:00 AM.)

The first line of the response also has me scratching my head. tvwbb.com shouldn't be able to tell (shouldn't care at all) if the client is on a WiFi, wired, or 2 cans with string connection. "Blocked by the server"? While it may be advantageous to run a firewall configuration on tvwbb.com, you [hopefully] should be running a minimal configuration, only an HTTP server and maybe an ssh server (on a non-default port.) I'd also suggest that a discussion of a firewall configuration not happen on a publicly visible forum.

Was that their entire response? Any idea why traceroute would fail from my end, yet the site runs fine for me? Nothing about the [misconfigured] reverse lookup?

I don't disagree for a second that the problem absolutely isn't at the client end for J. There is definitely something strange going on, and I am wondering about ssd19-ga.privatesystems.net (or their edge policies as a whole,) being the last hop before tvwbb.com.

Chris, first, this is not a WiFi problem. My desktop is connected via cat5 cable to my router. Here’s the result from that website your support staff asked me visit:

1E8683AF-2A74-497B-8A3E-28D3E9EEBFF5.jpeg

I took Larry's suggestion and installed Mozilla Firefox. So far so good. It loaded fast the first time and every time I navigated to a different part of tvwbb. Thank you Larry and thank you to everyone who chimed in.

That's..... strange. I expect to see hop #2 with an address related to what you're showing from IPv4.me, i.e. 172.89.154.x.

Are you multi-homing your Internet?

Can I beg a favor, aka, another troubleshooting step? Hit http://140.190.50.109/Jeep.html. That's my tame web server, I want to see what shows up the logs here.

Edit: Huh? Safari caching issue? But how does this affect EVERYTHING on your home network?

I took Larry's suggestion and installed Mozilla Firefox. So far so good. It loaded fast the first time and every time I navigated to a different part of tvwbb. Thank you Larry and thank you to everyone who chimed in.
Yeah Safari is an awful browser. My buddy had nothing but trouble, he kept taking his computer to the Apple "Geniuses" even they couldn't get it working. I told him to install Firefox and boom end of issues. Honestly Mac is not all it's hyped up to be

Glad it's now working for you!

Can you try the traceroute command again using Firefox? I'm curious to see the results.

I'd like to see the results. Firefox, safari, and traceroute should all be using the network stack independently, not able to affect each other. There is something very goofy going on.

Back