CA Retired PT getting into Outdoor cooking and Renovations (House, Yard and Patio items)

Rebecca Zerbst

Hi All: I recently retired from my solo Private Practice Physical Therapy. My son started his World of BBQ and smokers in the past 6 years while I did all the indoor cooking. 24 years ago I put in a Built in Lynx 36" NG BBQ, and then acquired a Free-standing 30" Lynx NG grill with the Pro-Sear feature for him to cook all of our Wagyu steaks, whole briskets and pork shoulders. These both have the ceramic briquettes and lifetime Brass burners. I found it rewarding to clean them every 3 - 5 years to almost brand new condition. Well, he started getting into the Weber World: starting with the Weber Smokey Mountain 18". Then, after eating dinner at a friends house and tasting their grilled steaks from a charcoal Weber Kettle, he bought a Uline promotion Weber 22" Black Kettle grill. Wow, is that the primary grill he now uses! We watch YouTube Guga (from Brazil) with his very catchy animated speaking voice and accent. We now try to use mostly the Fogo lump charcoal. We just took a 10 day RV trip to Texas to see the Total Solar Eclipse April 08. To travel, he requested a portable charcoal grill. So I bought a 1 - time used Weber Go Anywhere. I upgraded it to 2 pc. Craycort cast iron grates from the original 1 pc. chrome plated steel grid (stores inside easier)
After reading many posts on this site and watching YouTube, I felt it is a maneable size for me to start trying to grill my own single serving meat when home alone. I ended up finding someone who was selling their older Go-Anywhere with wood handles (my purchase had the new grey plastic ones) and for $10 they agreed to swap out the 3 wood ones for my plastic ones. Even though they have the "Marlboro" promotional word on them, I carefully sanded and coated the lightly worn lid handle; gave me a proud moment. Last week, my sister inherited a 2011-2016 Weber Genesis E310 from the original owner who sold their condo and left behind the LP BBQ. All of the insides are extremely dirty as if it was never cleaned out from lots of grill time though it ignites. Since the label is missing, or perhaps covered in so much grease (inside upright that holds the drip pan) I identified it from reading and looking at pics from this wonderful website. It is missing the left side fixed table attachment, so, finding the BUY, SELL, TRADE section of tvwbb, I saw a post by someone looking for the exact replacement and got an answer from DanHoo, whom I just reached out to. Hopefully I can clean her Genesis and acquire the left table to complete it as her Birthday gift. I decided to Register to be a User of this site and hope to contribute. Thanks in advance, I know this is a lengthy intro but I couldn't help share my excitement of being a Weber "family".

Welcome from Kalona, Iowa Rebecca. Sounds like you have been eating great grilled/smoked foods for years. Your son has been keeping you in Weber produced goodness. Enjoy your retirement and joining the Weber users family. Lots of great folks here to get all kinds of information from. Have fun!

Welcome to TVWBB family !!!
You may be using them already, but incase you haven't... There's an excellent source of all things BBQ, especially smoking wood, located really near you. The folks at The Woodshed OC are great at what they do. They're found just South of the Orange Police Department on N. Batavia, between W Struck and W Collins.
Also, for those times when you want to go out locally for BBQ, there's Hickory and Spice BBQ It's located off N Tustin Ave and (approperiately) Meats Ave. Truly championship bbq! We drive in from Corona to sample his wares.
Again, Welcome to TVWBB family AND Congratulations on the Retirement !

Welcome from Kalona, Iowa Rebecca. Sounds like you have been eating great grilled/smoked foods for years. Your son has been keeping you in Weber produced goodness. Enjoy your retirement and joining the Weber users family. Lots of great folks here to get all kinds of information from. Have fun!
Thanks Anthony....I like your line of icons showing all the BBQ's you own.... I have to say my son also acquired a 32" Traeger pellet grill in addition to the mentioned grills in my intro. As he lives in a loft style, all the BBQ's/smokers are housed in MY backyard. So we are a multi-line BBQ owner in all.

Welcome to TVWBB family !!!
You may be using them already, but incase you haven't... There's an excellent source of all things BBQ, especially smoking wood, located really near you. The folks at The Woodshed OC are great at what they do. They're found just South of the Orange Police Department on N. Batavia, between W Struck and W Collins.
Also, for those times when you want to go out locally for BBQ, there's Hickory and Spice BBQ It's located off N Tustin Ave and (approperiately) Meats Ave. Truly championship bbq! We drive in from Corona to sample his wares.
Again, Welcome to TVWBB family AND Congratulations on the Retirement !
Bob: We certainly have used WoodshedOC for many occasions: Cords of firewood and their BBQ woods. Looking forward to trying your recommendation of Hickory and Spice as it's VERY CLOSE to my house. Any specific item you repeatedly get to make the drive from Corona worth it? I have lived in Orange for over 50 years; I love to support local and small businesses as I was once one.

Welcome to the forum, it's a fun place.
Lived for over 40 years in Orange County from 1963-2003. Grew up in Garden Grove and lived in Huntington Beach and Lake Forest until we retired and moved to AZ.
Also a big fan of the Woodshed, now my son who still lives close to it gets my order every time he comes to visit.
Sure don't miss the traffic!

Bob: We certainly have used WoodshedOC for many occasions: Cords of firewood and their BBQ woods. Looking forward to trying your recommendation of Hickory and Spice as it's VERY CLOSE to my house. Any specific item you repeatedly get to make the drive from Corona worth it? I have lived in Orange for over 50 years; I love to support local and small businesses as I was once one.

Hi Rebecca,
The only meat I have not tried is the smoked Turkey. But I understand it is Excellent. Not on the menu are the Beef Ribs and Pastrami, which they offer individually on alternating Saturdays.
As far as a favorite, nope... I'm a main course type of person ;) so the sides, other than the Onion Rings, take a back seat.
They call it Championship BBQ, which it truly is. I was lucky enough to judge during his first KCBS Grand Champion cook years ago.

Back