Buying New Weber - 7mm vs 9mm

Mitchel T

Looking into buying a new Weber to replace my 20+ year old Genesis.
I was looking at the various 3 burner options (Natural Gas) w/ searing station and I had a question regarding the grates.
Will I really see much of a difference between the 7MM and 9MM grates?
Thanks!
Mitch

My own opinion is yes. Also a larger grate is easier to maintain and cook on IMO. Just a point to consider. The grates are the thing from a tactile standpoint you will interact with the most. You will placing food on them, handling that food cleaning them and so on. Life is too short for chintzy grates or bad beer

I just replaced my 20 year old Silver B earlier this year. It had the stainless grates, but I went with the cast iron this time. Glad I did. I find them to hold the heat much better and much better searing. For that reason alone, thicker would be better for heat retention alone.

Mitchel T: I would suggest you consider rehabbing an older Genesis Silver B or Genesis 1000, but if you are set on the sear burner, then you need new. I have a feeling you won't get 20 years out of a new Weber like you did your old one.

RE: Grates. Definitely go with the 9mm if you can afford the price difference.

I hope my new Weber holds up as well as the old one, but the sear station is a great addition and I like the new burner orientation better-especially for indirect cooking.

Not sure why people can't figure out how to indirect cook on a real Weber. The process is identical except you have even more space and flexibility NOT less. It's one of the things I LOVE so much about my true Weber Genesis. As for the searing burner........................IMO another gimmicky marketing ploy by Weber

Not sure why people can't figure out how to indirect cook on a real Weber. The process is identical except you have even more space and flexibility NOT less. It's one of the things I LOVE so much about my true Weber Genesis. As for the searing burner........................IMO another gimmicky marketing ploy by Weber
I did indirect cooking on my Weber for 20 years, but personally I find it easier with the new orientation. I could sear a steak just fine on the old grill, but you had to heat the entire grill to high. With a sear burner, you can sear the steak and move it to a cooler area to finish. Makes it easier to cook a steak for those who do nor realize that anything past med-rare is ruined. You really do not appreciate the new features until you use them. My only concern is quality of old vs new, but 9 months in and no problems and no rust.

JSaus: Check my post above yours. No messing with shutting off burners or moving steaks around. And you get an all over sear crust, not just grill marks.

I considered the Napoleon but thought that the cleanup around that burner would be a pain every time you used it. Plus, it is a smaller area than the Weber version if you are doing more than a couple steaks.
It is just the wife and I so we usually just split a steak. Sometime I cook 2 at the same time. The thing is I don't even have to open. turn on, or pre-heat the grill for 15 minutes. In 1 minute I am ready to cook and 1 1/2" steaks are done in about 6 minutes. So far I have done steaks, sausage, and burgers and everything that drips on that burner incinerates. There is a little drip tray under it but I think it is still clean. I will have to check that.

The thing is I don't even have to open. turn on, or pre-heat the grill for 15 minutes. In 1 minute I am ready to cook and 1 1/2" steaks are done in about 6 minutes. So far I have done steaks, sausage, and burgers and everything that drips on that burner incinerates.
I like that. With the Weber, you do have to pre-heat before you turn on the sear burner. Do you get splatter on the burner cover and stainless around the burner?

I like that. With the Weber, you do have to pre-heat before you turn on the sear burner. Do you get splatter on the burner cover and stainless around the burner?
Yes. So far I just wait until after dinner and use a paper towel to wipe up. There are 4 screws that hold the burner assembly in the shelf. When I do my usual 6 month or yearly deep clean I will remove it, and give it a proper cleanup, like I do with the rest of the grill.
The other thing is less tangible, but I really like to cook on it. For me it is fun to watch, much like cooking over charcoal. I get a similar enjoyment of actually seeing the orange glow and drippings vaporizing. I did just buy the charcoal tray for the Napoleon so I will have to "play with that soon" and do a little write up.

I didn't know that Napoleon offered the charcoal tray option. I am interested to see more when you get it and how much mess it makes to clean up.

I considered the Napoleon but thought that the cleanup around that burner would be a pain every time you used it. Plus, it is a smaller area than the Weber version if you are doing more than a couple steaks.
I lucked into this lightly used Prestige 750 a couple years ago for only $400. It has 2 ceramic sear burners under a separate hood, so no mess. Apparently Napoleon only did this for a couple model years, then went back to the current ‘side burner’ layout. I agree that open sear burner would be messy, but the separate hood on mine keeps it contained. Claimed to heat up to 1800° for a great crust, at about 90 seconds per side. I have an IR thermometer that maxes at 1000° and it flys right past that. She sure makes awesome steaks 🥩

Attachments

• 792C56E9-E520-46E7-B186-9B050AB965F3.jpeg
    792C56E9-E520-46E7-B186-9B050AB965F3.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 13
  • E1AC2962-9F7F-4B69-8C2C-C611BB60C021.jpeg
    E1AC2962-9F7F-4B69-8C2C-C611BB60C021.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 12
I lucked into this lightly used Prestige 750 a couple years ago for only $400. It has 2 ceramic sear burners under a separate hood, so no mess. Apparently Napoleon only did this for a couple model years, then went back to the current ‘side burner’ layout. I agree that open sear burner would be messy, but the separate hood on mine keeps it contained. Claimed to heat up to 1800° for a great crust, at about 90 seconds per side. I have an IR thermometer that maxes at 1000° and it flys right past that. She sure makes awesome steaks 🥩
Great grill and what a deal. Looks like it would cost you about $4500 to buy a comparable model now. Take care of it.

Back