Buyer's remorse

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Have seen some info on websites re: the Big Green Egg. It seems to be very popular. I wonder if I should have gone that route as opposed to the WSM. Anybody have experience with both and what is your comparison? thanks.

J, I have killed men for speaking such treason!! How dare you talk about my WSM that way!!

Just kidding...for me the proof was in the reviews. No one is unhappy with the WSM, the website is great and the WEBER support is second to none!

Do not feel bad about not getting the BGE! Be excited you bought the WSM and get to smokin'!! One pork butt and you'll never think of the BGE again...except to buy some of the accesories to expand your grilling area!!

Besides, the BGE is GREEN!! Not very manly!!

Good luck and be happy!!

A BGE is made out of ceramic and can break, is quite heavy, doesn't have the capacity of the WSM (I think), and is quite a bit more expensive. Still, though, it is a popular cooker and does a good job.

I would be surprised to discover that someone here has much negative to say about the "Big Green Egg". Although I do not have one, it was one of the smokers I considered before purchasing my WSM. My neighbor across the street has a Yamado and the ceramic smokers do a fine job.

The only negatives I can see, if you can call them negatives, are:

1. Capacity: Stock, it has a single 18.5" rack so has less capacity than the WSM, An additional rack can be added, but the same can be said for the Weber.

2. Ceramic parts can crack and break if it falls. The WSM may get a little chipped finish, or maybe a dent. I haul mine around and am not always as careful as I should be.

3. Plan on twice the cost.

On the positive side is, if you believe their website claim, that the charcoal lasts longer because of the superior insulating qualities of ceramic over metal. There are also those that prefer the aesthetics of a ceramic thing over a metal thing.

BTW, I note that there is a Chet over on the "Big Green Egg" forum. It's not me.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Greg Rempe:

Besides, the BGE is GREEN!! Not very manly!!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hold on there Greg! My Weber Platinum kettle is green, and I feel quite manly standing next to it with my apron on /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif
I agree with everything else you said though.
I wouldn't trade my WSM for a BGE even if it was a straight across trade. I have to move my WSM around. That's not easily done with the BGE.

Jeff, big difference between Weber Green and BGE Green!! Weber GREEN is VERY MANLY!!

BGE Green is, well, green...ho hum!!

I also considered the BGE before buying the WSM....The "Egg" is a great cooker. I'm not sure if it is really designed to do indirect cooking, though some modifications can be made. The problems I had with it were:

1. The $800.00 price tag....(But Egg owners will tell you they save on charcoal use).

2. The felt seal must be replaced from time to time.

3. The fact that most owners experience "Cracked Fireboxes" didn't help either. (Some have had cracked shells!)...If I paid $800.00 for a cooker and it developed a shell crack, I would not be able to sleep at night!

I am very happy with the WSM (2), it is well designed, does the job well and costs 1/5 the price of the BGE....just my 2 cents.

p.s. Did I mention the WSM owners have a First Class Website?

I have a business associate that I learned has an egg. He rants about it's ability to do steaks. I started talking about bbq'in (ribs specifically). He really wants to do some ribs, but even with the help of this board and the BRITU recipe, he has yet to get a decent cook out of the egg. If you really want an egg, the good news is that you didn't really spend that much on the wsm. How would you feel if you had tried an egg first and remorsed about getting a wsm???

J. Koehler,

Click the "Find" button and do a search on "wsm bge" or "wsm ceramic" and you'll get tons of past discussion comparing the two cookers.

Both are good products; both have pros and cons; both have very enthusiastic owners.

Regards,
Chris

J- Here's my take, for what it is worth. I believe this - that the cost alone is the reason NOT to buy the egg. If anyone can prove to me that on the egg, the $1500 ribs taste THAT much better than my WSM $170.00 ribs, I would be VERY surprised!!! Noone can tell me that those big green egg ribs are $1330 better. Capacity alone as you will find is VERY important. Hell you could buy @ 6 WSM's for the cost of there biggest model. Believe me I almost bought the egg but I would have been throwing money out the door....

This is my take on the Egg. I want to add one to my growing arsenal of cookers but $ is tight for us at the moment. I almost did buy one until I found the WSM and this site. The problem for me with the Egg is the size. The Egg is a heavy,well made neat looking thing but the grate is tiny. So small I couldnt cook for my family very well on it so I bought the WSM and have never looked back.
DP

If you're going to spend $1500 on the BGE, might I suggest calling Gatorpit or Klose and see what they can custom make you for that amount! Those are the industry standard smokers for a lot of people who compete in BBQ contests or want a big smoker in their backyards. You can get a really nice one of those for $1500 and have a huge amount of space on the smoker!! Much more than the BGE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back