Butts Over Brisket OR Brisket Over Butts ??

Guy Wallace

TVWBB Super Fan
Ive done enough a both to know a brisket is a lot more tricky to get right than butts . But my 3 briskets this yr and in the past have all be quit good ! But I have never done brisket and butts at the same time even befor my WSM but 1 time . So having said that I was going to do Butts over Brisket on the WSM . Is there any reason I should or would want to to do it brisket over butts ?

I should add the butts average 8 to 9+ lbs 3 a them and the brisket is 12 + lb packer .Iam sure the 22.5 WSM a handle the load .
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Befor someone says do the brisket HI HEAT Iam a low and slow kina guy only just my thing ..I got plenty a time and am never in a hurry and prefer to do the lazy hound dog smoke
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Now if I could figure a way to do 6 slabs a loin backs at the end of the same cook I would be done for the weekend and could relax and enjoy a bit more . But cooking on the smoker is one a my relaxing things anyway so its no big thing firing it up again and doing the ribs .
Besides I PREFER to lay my ribs flat so that rules out doing everything at once .

Hi Guy. If you added a rack in the middle, and could do without one of the butts, you could do them all at once. However, the brisket could use the six hour rest, so cooking the ribs after the long cook sounds like a plan. Man, you cooking for a crowd, aren't ya?!

It's no problem to take the top rack off to access the brisket, so I'd cook the butts on top. I hear they do a good job basting the brisket, but I don't know if I'd want all that beef fat dripping on my pork.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Hi Guy. If you added a rack in the middle, and could do without one of the butts, you could do them all at once. However, the brisket could use the six hour rest, so cooking the ribs after the long cook sounds like a plan. Man, you cooking for a crowd, aren't ya?!

It's no problem to take the top rack off to access the brisket, so I'd cook the butts on top. I hear they do
a good job basting the brisket, but I don't know if I'd want all that beef fat dripping on my pork. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL ya kina you could say a crowd . 1 a the butts the packer and 3 slabs a ribs are sold :O) doing 2 butts and 3 slabs for us for the holiday a lot a the PP a go in 1lb packs in our freezer . so I will just have to smoke all weekend :O)

wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back