Butts done WAY early

Tom (Gunner)

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey All,

I hope everyone's long weekend is treating them well so far! So I overnighted two butts last night..And when I woke up I realized I didn't set the alarm on the maverick. So When I woke the grate temp was at like 300 or so and the butts were around 190 internal. So at 195 I checked and both were probe tender so I pulled them and wrapped them in foil and a towel and they are sitting in a cooler. Problem is I wasn't going to pull and serve them till around 4 or 5 PM. I have like 8 hours. Can I keep them in the cooler for that long? They won't dry out sitting wrapped like that will they? Any other suggestions? I'm not using the over today, can I put them in there to keep warm? What temp do I have the oven on if I do that? Please help!

Thanks guys!

Sorry but you should let them rest for a hour then pull and quickly chill then fridge to be safe. Keep it in trays or bags but keep it thin so it will cool quicker. You could also put it the freezer for 1-2hrs to chill.

Folks get sick from mis-handled cooked food rather than pre-cooked.

Tom I haven't kept that long but I have seen others say they have. I have seen some recommend hitting the cooler with hot water to get it warm, then add a couple 2 liter bottles of warm water at the bottom and put the butts in there double wrapped in heavy duty foil and a towel. Again, never did this myself but maybe this will help if you don't have a food saver.

I think it would Tom. You could make a finishing sauce if you pull them apart now and add the sauce when you re-heat tonight.

I've kept a brisket and a couple of good-sized butts how all day, but I meant to do it and had my cooler prepped really hot, also with a couple of 2 liter bottles of hot water.

That said, I doubt I'll ever keep meat hot again for THAT long, since I've since learned that warmers are to be set to maintain 150* in food service. I've heard that the distinction is that the IT of the meat isn't what's the issue, it's the surface temp, and that is supposed to stay above 140* if I remember correctly.

Still learning, but thankfully, nobody's gotten sick yet. Even though there's a lot of folks in bbq that'll keep a bunch of pork butts hot for a long time, as in all day, there's a strong consensus that says up to SIX HOURS is fine with the right prep, so I'll probably try to stay within that.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Glenn W:
Sorry but you should let them rest for a hour then pull and quickly chill then fridge to be safe. Keep it in trays or bags but keep it thin so it will cool quicker. You could also put it the freezer for 1-2hrs to chill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm with Glenn on this. Trying to keep it warm is asking for trouble. You can probably pull it off, but if you don't, how many people will you get sick? What will that do to your reputation? What benefit do you gain from that risk? Cool and reheat and you will be a hero.

Thanks guys,

I ended up pulling them and putting them in a crockpot on low...It was a bit dry by the time we ate but still tasty!

Back