buttermilk, tenderizer rubs and bone broth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

f.j. tedford

TVWBB Fan
I getting ready to do an overnight brisket and I've got it soaking in buttermilk for tenderizing purposes. Never tried that before. Has anyone found it beneficial? I have used beer and that did turn out to be one of the better briskets I ever did.

Also, I found some Bolner's Fiesta Brisket rub with tenderizer in it. Has anyone had experiences with tenderizer rubs -- good or bad? The tendrizing ingredient is proteolytic enzyme from aspergillus flavus oryaze and papaya. There's an ingredient I didn't notice in Paul Kirks sauce book! Bolner's is a spice company out of San Antonio, Tx that specializes in Mexican spices. Last time I tried their brisket rub it lacked the tenderizer stuff and it had a pretty good flavor.

Finally, several mops and sauce recipes use a beef bone broth. Anyone tried putting a soup bone in the water pan to produce a smokey defatted broth from the drippngs and the bone?

I've used buttermilk for soaking fish in to remove strong flavors, but never beef. Not sure if the buttermilk would get in very deep into the brisket.

We over here use buttermilk to tenderize game and
to reduce the typical smell of game.

Same thing with real tough pieces of beef. Put
it into buttermilk for one or two nights and
it will be all right. It physically breaks up the
tissue of the meat - they say /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have used it successfully on rabbit and lamb -
but mainly to remove the sometimes strong flavour.

Manfred

Tenderizers in rub if on too long can go to a mushy texture, as can acid marinades. I've read some on other boards about buttermilk lately, let us know how it goes.
Jim

I have an Indian cookbook and one of the recipes says, "One of the best ways of tenderizing meat is to marinate it in papaya, which must be unripe or it will lend its sweetness to what should be a savory dish. Papaya, or paw-paw, is readily available from most large supermarkets."

I've not tried this yet, but I will at some point.

Kelly

P.S. Just read a little further -- you're supposed to peel the papaya, scoop out the seeds, cut it into cubes and run it through a food processor or blender, then rub the pulp into your meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly Ratzlaff:
[qb]"One of the best ways of tenderizing meat is to marinate it in papaya...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I believe that some of the commercial meat tenderizing products you find at the grocery store like Adolph's are papaya-based products.

Regards,
Chris

I don't know if the buttermilk helped it but it sure did't hurt. Cooked the 10.35# brisket till 174 deg. internal for 16hrs at 225 to 250 at the lid. I got lazy and decided to foil wrap it and take a short nap while it went to 190 deg. Dummy! Woke up 3.5 hrs later with the brisket at 199 in the flat. Still moist and VERY tender but I am sure the foil wrap overrode any effect the buttermilk had. Next time I'll resist the wrap till it gets to temp. Almost nonexistent smokering but nice smokey flavor. I checked the flat at 174 before wrapping and noticed then the smokering was absent or very thin.

The soup bone thing works pretty good for making Sonny Bryan style Texas thin sauce(http://bbqcentral.hypermart.net/index.html). Thanks to Kevin Taylor for the very informative link. But I could not resist doctoring it with some black coffee and a little allspice.

I am always amazed at the cook times and temp uniformity the WSM delivers. After starting with the Minion method, I added 16 briquettes at 14hrs into the cook with the lid temp at 225. Now, 21hrs+ since starting last nite the thing is still cranking at 220deg and I have not touched the one open vent since I added the coals at the 14hr point

Hi fjt!

Glad the cook went great!

I have done some testing with buttermilk and noticed NO difference. BUT......that is because we cook these meats low and slow and they become tender through this process.

Now, I am willing to bet that the buttermilk MAY work on any cuts you would GRILL. But, for low and slow cooking there is no need for tenderizers or buttermilk. The cooking process itself is the only thing you need.

A word on tenderizers......I use them quite a bit with my steaks. I grew up in and around the restaurant biz and found that many, many places use tenderizers on their steaks. Note..these are NOT the grand steakhouses!!!! But, the smaller, local family style joints.

The ONLY tenderizer I use is the Adolph's that has the BLUE cap. This is an all natural product that uses papain as the tenderizing ingredient. It is NOT available at any local supermarkets, I buy when on the road.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back