Butterflied Pork Butt

I can do a HH butt on my 18.5" WSM in 5-7 hrs. ( 275-300) Same butt and temp on my 22.5" WSM, takes anywhere from 8-10 hrs.
It's just the nature of the beast..

That's a bummer Jim. Guess I'll put the chain saw away and plan on an O dark thirty AM start on my 11 pounder and plan on having PP the next day. I just hate long cooks especially in the cold winter with the short days.

It still looks pretty good...it'll be interesting to see if the time in the fridge helps it out any.
it WAS good! tasted just like regular ol' fashion pulled pork...
Could your thermometer be off? At those temps, the time just doesn't seem right.
my thermometers are made by Thermoworks. My probes off the SMOKE read the same temps as my Thermapens (yes, plural).
my thermometers were not the problem.
Seems the low temp was too low. Maybe
🤔 hmmm. No. Averaged 275ºF.
I can do a HH butt on my 18.5" WSM in 5-7 hrs. ( 275-300) Same butt and temp on my 22.5" WSM, takes anywhere from 8-10 hrs.
It's just the nature of the beast..
this Tim, i believe. Size Does Matter.
That's a bummer Jim. Guess I'll put the chain saw away and plan on an O dark thirty AM start on my 11 pounder and plan on having PP the next day. I just hate long cooks especially in the cold winter with the short days.
long cooks when you expect shorter times, yeah, that's crap.

I still believe a whole 8-10lb butt (not butterflied, nothing under 6 lbs), cooks better/faster.
Anyway, i won't be smoking butterflied butt anytime soon.

Back