Butter Under the Skin?

John W

TVWBB Member
Hello again! One more question for everybody - What are your thoughts on rubbing compound, or even plain-unsalted, butter under the turkey skin? If it's brined and smoked, is it really worth it? It sounds like it would add extra flavor, but I'm hesitant to mess with the flavor and the turkey too much. Has anyone had experience with butter under the skin on a smoked+brined turkey breast?

Thanks!

John, the recipe that I will be using has me rub mayonnaise under the skin, I have used this recipe before and it turned out great. I also wrap the turkey in bacon so I'm not looking for the crispy skin that you might be trying to accomplish with the butter. Maybe try it on one side of the turkey or just a certain section and see if it make a difference?

Thanks James! Not worried about the skin, we cut that off before serving since no one is interested. I just thought the butter would add some extra flavor/moisture. The mayonnaise is interesting though. It sounds good!

Butter makes everything better! Just be careful about salt...you've already got the meat seasoned with salt via the brine.

Back