Butt What if I don't want to use foil?

To get a brisket or ribs to fit on a smaller cooking surface without cutting try this:

Take an empty beer or soda can (beer is preferred
icon_biggrin.gif
) and wrap it in foil.

Set the can in the middle of the cooking grate and set the brisket or ribs over the can. This will bump up the middle and shorten the length......works like a charm!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScottE:
To get a brisket or ribs to fit on a smaller cooking surface without cutting try this:

icon_biggrin.gif
) and wrap it in foil.

Set the can in the middle of the cooking grate and set the brisket or ribs over the can. This will bump up the middle and shorten the length......works like a charm!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool idea Scott. Hmmm, what if you left the beer half full, put a hole though high center and put a couple of straws in the can through the top of the the meat and to let it bubble out on the meat? Self basting!
icon_biggrin.gif

The only thing I tend to foil is Brisket. The reason I do that is consistency. I've found that my results vary wildly with unfoiled brisket. At least when I foil I know I'll have dinner on the table, and not boot leather.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike David P:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScottE:

icon_biggrin.gif
) and wrap it in foil.

Set the can in the middle of the cooking grate and set the brisket or ribs over the can. This will bump up the middle and shorten the length......works like a charm!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cool idea Scott. Hmmm, what if you left the beer half full, put a hole though high center and put a couple of straws in the can through the top of the the meat and to let it bubble out on the meat? Self basting!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike just invented BEER CAN BRISKET!
icon_biggrin.gif

To foil or not to foil, 'tis the question.

My experience, and granted, it is not what others on here have for sure, is that the less you mess the better it comes out. In other words, get the fire/heat settled in, throw the meat on, WALK AWAY. Run temp gauges for the meat and the cooker and just salivate while waiting until it is done. No foiling, no mopping, no poking and proding, no opening the lid, NOTHING. As long as I watch the cooker temps (ain't remote thermo's THE BEST!!!!!)it is very difficult to go wrong in the end. Seems to work nicely for me but to each his own. I have had more than my share of foiled meat and ain't said no yet!!!!!! Just not my thing I guess. Call it lazy if you will but rarely fails me.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back