Butt Questions

K_Jordan

TVWBB Fan
I purchased a large pork butt (almost 15 lbs.). I do not have time for an overnight cook. Can I cut the pork in 1/2 to cut down the cooking time?

I came across a pear tree and cut some branches with the intent to use as smoke wood. Can I use wood right away or must I season it first? Has anyone tried pear wood before?

Unless you cut it up into chunks less than 4-5 pounds, it's still going to be an overnighter cooking at 225-250 grid temps. There are cooking methods at higher temps though. Check out...www.kickassbbq.com.

Smoking wood should be dry/seasoned before you use it.

If the butt was purchased at a supermarket in cryo check and see if there aren't two butts in there. A 15-lb butt is very rare as domestic producers don't usually raise pigs that large before slaughter. Most packers pack two per cryo but they are not labeled as such.

Pear is good, mild wood.

I am cooking the butt(s) on Saturday. On Friday, when I apply the rub, I will be able to see if there are two butts in the cryo. I will post how many butts are in the cryo. I am an early riser. I normally cook a 6-7 pounder starting at 5 am. Therefore, an overnight cook is not necessary.

Regarding the pear wood; it is a good wood to use. If it was seasoned, that would be better. Since it is green, I would just not use it on a minion method cook. I'd get it burning some to help prevent getting a bitter taste from the smoke.

I will definately season the pear wood before using. Normally, I use hickory with some cherry mixed in. Thanks for all the help everyone.

As Kevin Kruger suggested, if it is in cryo, then I can 99.999% guarantee you have two butts in that thing. The markets nowadays buy their meats from distributors who always pack them that way (krug can give the precise description of the process). But all you need to know is that you have two butts.

And, if that .001% chance came through, you can absolutely cut a 15 pounder down to two butts, though you'll have to be creative in how you'd do it, given you don't have a band saw dedicated for cutting bones and meat. (or, maybe you do, at which point I'd ask you why you were buying supermarket meat at all)
icon_smile.gif

Anyhow, I'd just do the whole cook at around 275, then, if you are still compressed in time, foil it after it gets into - or preferably out of - it's plateau (usually around 160s somewhere). you'll be set.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Cole:
Unless you cut it up into chunks less than 4-5 pounds, it's still going to be an overnighter cooking at 225-250 grid temps. There are cooking methods at higher temps though. Check out...www.kickassbbq.com.

Smoking wood should be dry/seasoned before you use it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, have you tried that quick method? The conventional wisdom is cooking at 350 will make a pork butt tough, but if it works well, it's a great time saver. I have a huge pork butt from Costco to do for a party next weekend, and I was thinking of doing it this weekend and freezing for the weekend because of the time involved. This quick method would help a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Hinkle:
I have a huge pork butt from Costco to do for a party next weekend, and I was thinking of doing it this weekend and freezing for the weekend because of the time involved. This quick method would help a lot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Tom - FWIW, if yours is in cryo from Costco, then it is DEFINITELY two butts (boneless at that), since all Costcos nationwide do it the exact same way. So even if you have a 14 pound package, there are really two butts in there. They do a bit of a hatchet job when the debone those suckers too... ANyhow, just so you are aware.

I've not tried the 5 hour butt method yet. I just read about it in another thread a week or so ago. I think the key to getting it tender is to cover the pan with foil and cook for a couple hours, having the same affect as foiling ribs.

Yes, there were two butts in the cryo. 6am, in buffalo, and the butts are in the smoker. I plan to cook at 250-275 at the lid. Should be eating by 6pm. Once again, thanks for all the help. This is the fifth time I am doing pork butts and all but one turned out fantastic. This site is a wealth of information. I am glad I discovered it.

K_Jordan
I believe the plateau is when the temp of the meat does not rise for a long period of time. The plateau is caused when the collagen (fat) within the meat starts to melt.
I should correct myself when I say the temp does not rise for a long period of time. Actually the temp may stall at one temp, or start rising very slowly, or the temp may even decrease a couple of degrees. This could go on for 2-3 hours.

Well, it was an interesting day for me. WSM performed great. It ran between 240 and 275 all day. Pork turned out great. The day ended in tragedy however. My aunt's drunk boyfriend wiped out my smoker as he was leaving. Bent one of the legs. Also, bottom bowl is out of round. That could be a problem. Any suggestions?

Yes I have one. Make the guy reimburse you for all damages. Why was he driving drunk anyhow?

I drink, but I dont drive when drunk!

How about never inviting him over again?

Glad the butt turned out well though.
Did you have much of a stall in temps?

I think that if the bottom bowl is out of round you will have a problem with air leaking into the unit thereby making the temp's harder to control.

I have decided not to ask him to replace my WSM. If he has any class, he will offer. I will see him this Saturday at another party. As far as drinking and driving, the two do not mix. My job requires me to drive. When not at home, my wife drinks and I drive.

My wife does not like the guy because he broke the door handle at our old house. She did not want to invite him before this latest incident.

After the meat went in, the temp dropped from 290 to about 240. Slowly went from 240 to 260. From there temp remained mostly between 250-265. Only occasionly dipping above or below.

Hey K_Jordan

I'm in Kenmore. ( I put Buffalo in my info cause nobody would know where Kenmore is) I stock up on my supplies at "Adventures in Heat" on Main st.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David T:
K_Jordan
I believe the plateau is when the temp of the meat does not rise for a long period of time. The plateau is caused when the collagen (fat) within the meat starts to melt.
I should correct myself when I say the temp does not rise for a long period of time. Actually the temp may stall at one temp, or start rising very slowly, or the temp may even decrease a couple of degrees. This could go on for 2-3 hours. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Yup, exactly. Only thing I'd add is that if you are cooking relatively low - like around 225-ish, then the plateau can be much double that... like 6+ hours, depending on a host of variables.

K_Jordan - sorry the day ended on a big bad note. Glad the meat turned out well in the meantime...

- Adam

Back