Butt question from a Rookie

Derek L.

TVWBB Super Fan
Do I need to trim these further or just smoke them as is?
4684554693_9c51d919ce.jpg

Here's the top side for good measure....

4685188572_849e829203.jpg

Derek, I slather them with mustard put rub on it and throw them on the WSM as is. No trimming needed they'll render down plenty by the time they are done

Probably too late, but I'd second Greg C's suggestion. Trim one, leave one as is. I've been flipping back & forth as to trimming. While I love to leave the fat, it does seem to cut down some on the available bark. jmo

I would not trim those. If you lose anything due to sticking let that be fat and not meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Cut 'em in half for more bark and reduced cook time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what I do also. I like the results of more bark and it's just as tender.

I agree with whats been said above although I might add that you may want to remove the cryo first
icon_wink.gif

I agree with all.

Remove the plastic, rub with yellow mustard, add a good rub, put on WSM fat up, put one piece of hickory and one cherry (about lemon sized) on the charcoal. Smoke at 250* for about 12 - 16 hours. When the temp reaches 200* wrap in a towel and put in the cooler for at least an hour.

Don't plan on dinner after you pull the pork. You will eat so much of the goodness, you will be full!

I catch the drippins. After the fat is scraped off, add 1/3 apple cider and 1/3 hot sauce. Add just a little back to the meat and you are in heaven.
icon_smile.gif

Back