Butt Injection

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone have experience using the injection in the cooking topic section or others. Care to share your thoughts? I'm firing up a butt this weekend and was thinking of trying an injection. Thanks!

Jim

Jim,

I've used the Chris Lilly rub and injection on my butts every time, but the last time. I used his rub and was lazy, so I skipped the injection. I won't skip this again because the pork wasn't as flavorful, nor was it as moist. I'm sure it could have easily been the pork or some other factor, but everything else was a close to being the same as it usually is.

I love this rub for the bark formation and for the flavor it produces. I've used a handful of other rubs, but I always come back to this one when I'm not going for spicy heat.

when I first started using the wsm, I thought injecting butts was required, and used mostly some mixture involving apple juice. Except I noticed when pulling, greenish coloration between the muscles, and never really felt like it added much in terms of flavor or moistness.

I always serve pork with sauce, so I figure its more appropriate to add flavor at that stage. plus I like to manage the juice that's released from the butt. I find that the defatted juices can add a lot in terms of the perception of the meat being moist.

We inject everytime. I have tried many different injections and say most have been either not worth it or funky in flavor. We are still working on ours but we are close to where we really like it.

I inject butts with apple juice seems to make a differance. thinking of trying the FAB-P product to see what happens.

I'll vote for injecting as well. At home I like to use a version of Chris Lilly's recipe, I add some cider vinegar and a few dashes of Texas Pete for some more kick. Let them sit in the refridgerator for a few hours after injecting to give meat a chance to absorb the flavors.

Originally posted by Michael Plunkett:
Let them sit in the refridgerator for a few hours after injecting to give meat a chance to absorb the flavors.[/QUOTE

This is key. Right on Michael.

Back