Butcher Paper

If you are putting a wood order in with Fruita Wood these 36x36 sheets of butcher paper are great for large cooks...

if you're new to the butcher paper craze or simply wanna try it, cool. :cool:
i got some tips for ya...

tip #1
shop around for the best deal, including shipping costs (if not purchased locally). they have what you want and it's hot. even Weber got involved in it now complete with their patented kettle grill logo printed all over the roll.
if you think you're only gonna use a little bit, you're wrong. you'll use it cuz you got it. so so buy the shortest roll to save on dough (cash). yes, the smaller the roll, the more money you fork out. i believe it comes in two widths: 18" and 24". i fancy the wider 24" version....
ok, here are a few things to ponder.....

tip #1a
...if you say, "well, i WON'T use very much cuz i don't wrap very often..." well, guess what? it also makes great tray and table liners, placemats, book covers (now i'm showing my age), geez, you can even line your kitchen cabinet shelves with it. got youngin's? instant coloring/artwork paper! tear off a piece, fold it over and place your wet boots on it to keep the housecleaner happier...
yet many many other uses for this amazing fad.

tip #2
you can use it for pork butt as well as brisket. can be cheaper than parchment so divide your burgers with it...works great. wrap fresh meat for the freezer if you have no vacuum seal machine.

all this from me and you think, "I'll bet he doesn't even use it..."
au contraire, i do and soo much, this roll was twice as fat as it is now AND i went further to shelf it in an antique meat market butcher paper tear-er off-er.
(no, the police scanner did not come with it)

View attachment 22792

so don't be afraid to buy some butcher paper. it's cool. :cool:
All good points and ideas for using the paper in many ways. I love that paper cutter.

I put my meat fat side up after I wrap as you'll have paper underneath to protect the meat from the heat and the fat can sometimes stick to the paper when it's face down.

This is a good tip -- fat side up to avoid sticking.

I always put the meat fat side up on the paper when I start to wrap. But I then I lose track of which side is which after doing all the turning and flipping to do the wrap. Such a simple thing, but I make this same mistake again and again....
I had the same problem losing track of the position of the fat when wrapping. Once I read Aaron Franklins - Franklin Barbeques book he describes a good method for wrapping brisket which will end with the fat on top. I found that its pretty easy and ends with a nice tight package,

Dustin this is good to know on keeping the fat side up I’ll have to remember that next time. As for wrapping I have been “double wrapping” like I would with foil. What say you? Double or single wrap with paper?
I try to follow the exact method from the Franklin Masterclass but I have the 24 inch paper instead of the 18. He uses two sheets that are overlapped the length of the brisket. I do more or less the same so essentially it is double wrapped. I have it so the excess is under the brisket as well to protect it from heat from the bottom.

Back