Burner cover refurb

Richard in NS

TVWBB Wizard
I had a side burner cover with the dreaded burn mark on it and decided to try sanding it. This is after half an hour of hand sanding with 3M 320 grit Automotive wet/dry sandpaper. It has some texture/grain marks to the finish (so sand in straight lines with the grain) but actually less than the Weber original finish. I am not sure I will progress to 600 and 900 grit to get the polished look but wanted to show that these can be revived.

C611E5AE-4253-45D1-BC6D-4EE08DE942A0.jpeg6CC91B9C-D142-4843-9DB8-0B264D449657.jpeg

Nice work on that, Richard! (y) I did something similar with a Lazy Man Grill I redid. It takes some time and effort, but it does make a BIG difference:

Nice work on that, Richard! (y) I did something similar with a Lazy Man Grill I redid. It takes some time and effort, but it does make a BIG difference:

Wow, you went above and beyond Jon. Did using the orbital sander make swirl marks on the SS? I wanted the straight grain that the rest of the cover had so didn’t dare try it. Also, I only had a small area to hand sand unlike the whole grill that you had.

Using the drill mounted pad was pretty much a bust, but the orbital sander was better. The finish when I was done was maybe like satin. The last grit was extremely fine so it was less like a grain and more just not fully polished like a mirror. I don’t know if that was even possible with that hood, but I was satisfied. If you have something totally flat like that sideburner lid then sanding in one direction is perhaps a little more possible. That certainly is the original look on the Weber stainless.

Back