Burn Time of 22"

Joe Stout

TVWBB Member
Loaded up 6 ea 9-10 lb butts using a dry foiled pan. Loaded up with cowboy charcoal and got 13 hour cook, I'm finishing up 4 of them in the oven right now.

Quick question, does anyone get longer cooks on one load? If so, what do you think attributes to it? Is there a big difference between charcaol brands?

Just curious, I'm pretty happy with the 12 hours but the size of the butts I get at my grocer usually finish up at around 14 hours. If I could get a couple more hours I'd be in like Flint.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I've found briquettes get a longer burn time than lump. But 13 hours isn't bad at all. Last low and slow I got 14 hours when I shut it down and it was still going strong with minion and kingsford competition. Edit: btw that was on my 18 (don't have a 22) and I had water in the pan.

Last edited:
I've found briquettes get a longer burn time than lump. But 13 hours isn't bad at all. Last low and slow I got 14 hours when I shut it down and it was still going strong with minion and kingsford competition. Edit: btw that was on my 18 (don't have a 22) and I had water in the pan.

I have the 22 and get 14+ hours using minion and KBB and water in pan. That's how I always do it and it never fails. Good luck.

What temp did you cook your butts? How long was your stall time?

If you raise the temp slightly, you might get less burn time but also less stall time getting the job done on the cooker vs in the oven. I believe there's a sweet spot at 275-300*F.

You also might like to cut a large butt in two equal halves. Two smaller hunks of flesh will cook faster at the same temp as one large one.

YMMV

Last edited:
I like to run about 260-290 degrees. Last night before I crashed the remote therm dangling in a top vent settled in at 280. No wind whatsoever and 2 bottom vents slivers with one completely closed.

The butts I get average close to 10 lbs so cutting them in have may be the way to go.

Also, you might consider the Texas Crutch. Foiling them reduces cooking time. If you do this I recommend waiting until the bark is set.

6 butts will use considerably more charcoal than 2 butts to maintain the same temps.

With lump 13 hours in the 22" is good. You really have to pack it in there though Tetris style. With briquettes specifically KBB if you cram a full 20 lb bag in there and minion start it can last well over 16 hours.

13 hrs with 6 x 9/10LB butts. I think you did very well there, epecially if you didn't put any more fuel in.

If, as mentioned, you used briquettes and stacked them up tetris stylee, I reckon you would get more hourage....(< is that even a word?).

I didn't add any fuel. My door doesn't fit well and I have it taped shut with aluminum tape. It's ugly but it works for me.

As for briquettes, when I first started I thought I tasted some off flavor using them. I switched to lump with chunks of cherry and apple and have been happy. With 60lbs of meat I don't want to experiment but maybe I'll do a smaller cook using kbb now that I've been doing this for a while and have better control and understanding of fire control. A 14-16 hour burn would be sweet.

Back