Build your ultimate gasser ideas

Reggie G

TVWBB Fan
Ok so a buddy and myself are about to go out and acquire 2-3 more genesis of various generations on top of the two old red heads we have

So if you could piece together your all time grill how would you do it?

13 flavor bars or 5?

which hood?

which grates?

Of course I assume all the fireboxes are the same??? SO I could use a 5 or 13 bar box on any frame or am I mistaken? I know that basically all the grates are the same size so that's just preference. And I am pretty sure the hoods swap around easily as well. WE are talking taking it down to the frame getting it powder coated and building it to last!

That is what I am currently building.
Started with a Genesis 2000. ($10.)
All stainless hardware.
Stainless wheel axles.
Replaced every part with new.
Powder-coating the frame.
Trying to decide on Durawood or real redwood.
Stainless Z brackets.
rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers (eBay).
New manifold and gas line.

That is what I am currently building.
Started with a Genesis 2000. ($10.)
All stainless hardware.
Stainless wheel axles.
Replaced every part with new.
Powder-coating the frame.
Trying to decide on Durawood or real redwood.
Stainless Z brackets.
rcplanebuyer grates and flavorizers (eBay).
New manifold and gas line.

Cool, I wasn't aware that rcplanebuyer now ships to us up here. With shipping and import fees, I think it's still cheaper than buying the Weber SS flavourizer bars from HD.

I have a Genesis 3000LX that I'm redoing, I'm going to take my Green Genesis 1000LX and swap it out to the 3000LX frame and convert it to a 2000LX. Don't need another side burner have two already, I would rather have the extra shelf space. For ease of maintenance I will be using the Durawood, I've done wood slates and it's so dry here they just don't hold up well and stain to easily. This will be a working grill so easy clean up is a must.

Are you sure rcplanebuyer will ship to Canada? I've helped a couple of forum members overseas that wanted parts from him but he stated he doesn't ship out of the USA. We had him ship them to me and I shipped them to the buyers. Better check and make sure.

Also if anyone has a extra Durawood slotted shelf for a Genesis 1000-3000 series that goes on the left side next to the firebox or on the right side next to the control valves on a genesis 2000 they want to sell please PM me.

Last edited:
I have a Genesis 3000LX that I'm redoing, I'm going to take my Green Genesis 1000LX and swap it out to the 3000LX frame and convert it to a 2000LX. Don't need another side burner have two already, I would rather have the extra shelf space. For ease of maintenance I will be using the Durawood, I've done wood slates and it's so dry here they just don't hold up well and stain to easily. This will be a working grill so easy clean up is a must.

Are you sure rcplanebuyer will ship to Canada? I've helped a couple of forum members overseas that wanted parts from him but he stated he doesn't ship out of the USA. We had him ship them to me and I shipped them to the buyers. Better check and make sure.

Also if anyone has a extra Durawood slotted shelf for a Genesis 1000-3000 series that goes on the left side next to the firebox or on the right side next to the control valves on a genesis 2000 they want to sell please PM me.

Rich, if you are interested in getting rid of that side burner, I would love on for my 1000. If interested, PM me. TIA

Colin.p Yes, he can ship to Canada now but it's crazy expensive.
I had him ship them to my cousin in Michigan, where I will pick them up.

Colin.p Yes, he can ship to Canada now but it's crazy expensive.
I had him ship them to my cousin in Michigan, where I will pick them up.

You want to talk about crazy expensive, I shipped a set of rcplanebuyers SS grates that weighed over thirty pounds for a large Weber grill and some other parts to a forum member in Australia. We're talking in the hundreds of dollars to ship.

You want to talk about crazy expensive, I shipped a set of rcplanebuyers SS grates that weighed over thirty pounds for a large Weber grill and some other parts to a forum member in Australia. We're talking in the hundreds of dollars to ship.

And it was still cheaper than buying original from Weber Australia (and they could not supply all the parts either)

Again, a big thanks to Rich and Barb, I am looking forward to seeing the new 3000/2000/1000 Hybrid.

If I could ship you my spare Gen. 5000 Rich, I would. You just keep looking for that 56" Vieluxe for me.

http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/201...r-luxury-grill-youve-probably-never-heard-of/

If they have an all SS/Al fire box, there is your ideal gasser.

Stephen, I think this is going to be my last build, getting to old for all this hard, dirty work. The greenie 1000LX I bought new in 1999 and just want to deluxe it up a little. I just couldn't pass on the 3000 20 years old and in excellent condition from the burners to the flavorizer bars to the grates, frame too. For $40 I couldn't pass it by. Except for a almost DOA igniter and a broken caster everything is reusable.
I did see a 56" Vieluxe a while ago and told the guy if he ever wanted to sell let me know, he laughed and said he would put me on the list of those who want it. I swear that thing has more knobs and switches on it than the cockpit of a 747 and it's really large some 300+ pounds of large.

So I guess for the most part all we are dealing with are aesthetics but are more flavorizer bars better than fewer?

If one had the option to build an earlier style would you opt for the 13 bar system?

Why did weber go to fewer bars? I assume cost

So I guess for the most part all we are dealing with are aesthetics but are more flavorizer bars better than fewer?

If one had the option to build an earlier style would you opt for the 13 bar system?

Why did weber go to fewer bars? I assume cost

This is a really good question.

I would like to think that when the Weber Design team came up with the Genni it had to cook as well as the Kettle, and be acceptable to Mr Stephens.

So I would like to think they made a deliberate choice between one and two layers of 'flavorizer' bars (whose probable main job is to prevent flare ups and provide an even cooking temp across the grill.)

At some point the bean counters probably came in and said 'Do we really need two layers of bars?', and the answer was No, if that is what it has to be.

I appreciate American 'robust' engineering.At it's best it, might not look as aesthetically pleasing as it could, but it is built to do the job, and last. And you can work on them, and still get spare parts.

That's why I love Weber Gassers.

I had my green genesis 1000LX (13Bar) and a Silver B (5 bar) at the same time. One was on the lower deck and the other on the upper deck. I could really tell the difference the Silver B had a lot more flare ups and didn't heat as evenly as the Genesis 1000. Not saying the Silver B was bad you just had to keep an eye on it if cooking burgers or steaks, chicken anything with a high fat content for the dreaded flare ups.
That's why I still have the Genesis 1000 and the Silver B is long gone.

Back