Buffalo Wings - Smoked then Fried

Gary Noles

TVWBB Member
Question folks, using the recipe and directions here - http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken8.html

Would it be possible to bring the wing temp down after smoking, vacuum seal and freeze? My idea would be to make a WSM full at a time and divide them up for instant wing night, just fry and feast!

Anyone got any experiences to share before I waste a pack of chicken to find out if it will work?

all you're dealing with is a food safety issue....Raw frozen wings, I think, will cook in a fryer in 13 minutes.

...Edit: Um, Yes. Just cool quickly. Don't even need to vac unless you're waiting for more than a few days.

Personally, I like them best just grilled or baked.... try them indirect on the grill at ~425F for ~45 minutes. Crispy - don't char or whatever, just stay indirect.

I did that recipe last week & love it! I haven't tried freezing off the WSM & frying later, but I bet it would work. There was a Good Eats episode on freezing that was very good. It basically tried to give you ideas on how best to flash freeze things to reduce the damage that freezing does. If you can find it, it's good viewing. After pulling the wings from the WSM, I'd probably spread them out on wire mesh on a cookie sheet, cool them in the fridge, then put them in the freezer like that if you have the room. You could then move them to a freezer bag after they're frozen.

I deep fry wings a lot. I use a cheapy fry daddy, which has no temp gauge or control. Raw wings only take 7-8 minutes to cook.

Wings were great! Crisped and brought to temp in the fryer. Smoked and fried, my two favorite cooking methods covered in hot sauce and butter.

Thanks for all the input folks!

Back