Budget restoration project, 2005 Genesis Gold C, curbside find

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
Here is Project Lazarus, the 2005 Genesis Gold C that was offered for scrap, with the all-too-common rusty bottom shelf:

43935585062_b50b6d1faf_b.jpg

The goal is to spend as little as possible using parts already in possession or acquired on the cheap

Here's a mid-progress picture after converting to the cart design (I may sell the side burner separately):

30117316838_d66bc94925_b.jpg

I cut out the rotted frame section this afternoon and spliced in a replacement piece using McMaster-Carr threaded inserts.

The firebox, btw, is from a later model Spirit E/W 3-burner that has a mounting screw on the front and back.

JKim,

I really like the idea! It is so easy to get carried away with all new this and that, and before you know it your cheap grill isn't so cheap anymore. I think it will be fun to see what you can do with what you already have. I definitely agree with ditching the bottom cabinet. While it may give a little style and some dubious storage it is a rust trap, at least the way Weber made it.

I plan to do similar with my Platinum. It is still laying in parts in my yard, shed, study, etc.... I can only do so much working 1 1/2 jobs and trying to keep up with honeydos:(.

I agree with Jon and I really like this project. It is funny how you can pick up something someone else sees as junk and for a few dollars and a few hours can turn it into a fully functional premium Weber grill. That thing may not look beautiful right now, but it won't take much to get it working as good and be as functional as the day it was born.

JKim: Keep us posted on the progress of this build.

Looks good! Awesome when you can find them for free. Can’t wait to see the progress and finished product.

I will say after starting my restoration I have a lot of respect for you guys who have done several! It is a lot more work than what it looks like.

Next up on the repair list:

1) New crossover tube (I have good spare burners, but no crossover tubes). They are cheap enough at $10 shipped
2) A new dual piezo igniter button if I want to keep the side burner
3) 1 replacement burner (I have spares)
4) 2 new casters (I have new replacements in stock)

Also... I had forgotten that the 2005 models are a bit taller than the previous years. The propane tank sits higher off the ground, and the wire shelf is lower.

Hey I saw that one on Facebook.

I thought about trying to pick it up, but it was gone before I could have made it there.

I really love that lid design and would have grabbed it for that alone.

Good score!

I think you're going down the right road with that project. You will have a nice utility grill with little cost to you.

Really good in my opinion. Is it going to be a flip or are you keeping it? What does the flavo bars, grates and burners look like?

They are all flips. I might have a buyer lined up already.

I went with a spare set of Weber cast iron grates and the original Weber stainless FBs:

43505745965_6d15b6b2c8_h.jpg

Perfect. How much are you asking if you don't mind my asking?

I have a Silver C that is going to be my next rehab.

I am curious about pricing as well. I hope to have mine completed this week.
There was one here in KC posted at $250 for over 2 months. It was reduced to
$200 for a couple of weeks and then disappeared. I have planned all along to
list mine at $200 with a full tank.

This one came out pretty good, you guys.

43505746165_92a0f1aa73_h.jpg

JKim,

It sure did! I think your “budget” makeover was a great idea, and execution is top drawer. I agree with a Bruce that you should go for $250 and plan to be patient. What kind of chinajunk can you even get for that amount?

Jon

You guys were in the ballpark, for sure. I listed it for $250, went to bed, and by the time I woke up, the eventual buyer had messaged me about plans to pick it up this afternoon.

Back