buckboard bacon question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
I am awaiting the arrival of my Hi-Mountian cure. I have a couple of questions.

1- do I need to remove the liquid after 5 days or leave it in?

2- do I need to let it go longer than 10 days in the cure?

I plan to go ahead and do 4 or 5 butts while I'm at it. Want to slice, vacuum pack, and freeze.

Any suggestions appreciated. I don't wanna mess up 25lbs. of pork butt! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Jim,

Although I read somewhere to drain the bags after five days or so, someone emailed me, said he had lots of experience in makin bacon, and said to let the liquid stay in, because it helps
with the flavor.

Everyone I've talked to says to let it cure for 7 to 10 days. I think it has to do with the thickness of the meats. Ideal would be abour 3 to 3 and a half inch thick to let the cure penetrate. I cut my butt in half, and I'm letting it go for 10 days.

But this is my first. Maybe Bruce or someone else with experience with chime in here.

Jim,

I did mine exactly per the instructions because it was my first time out. I did not remove the juices.

I have heard people that let theirs cure for up to 14 days for one reason or another without any adverse effects.

Jim-

Mine gets pulled out of the cure and cooked up on Wednesday. I'll try to take some pics of the process to add to Bruce's thorough discussion of the subject from his first run. I'm looking forward to it, and plan to also try some Canadian and English bacon with it next....

Rich G.

So rich, you're going to try canadian bacon (pork loin, I assume) and English bacon. What meat do you use for English bacon?

My Buckboard spices are in the mail - so I'm trying to pre-plan.

Brandt-

Actually, I'm not sure on the English bacon. It is definitely loin, and appears to have a little more fat than Canadian bacon, so it may be from a different end of the loin. I get mine from Dittmer's (local German butcher), and I plan to ask him what cut he uses for his English bacon next time so that I can try it out myself. Looking at the two products side by side, they appear very similar. I'll post what I find out from Herr Bubert.

Rich G.

Yeah Bruce, you should be making some kind of profit off of this, and so should Chris! I have a feeling this is going to be something that everyone tries this year, kind of like ABT's last year. Rich, can you describe the English bacon?
I've never heard of that.

Jim

Jim-

Like Canadian bacon, it is made from pork loin, but seems to be a bit larger in diameter than Canadian bacon, and with a bit more fat. I have only ever encountered it at the shop I mentioned above, and a brief google search didn't really turn up a lot more. I'll do a bit more research and post what (if anything) I find out about the key difference between English and Canadian bacon.

Rich

I ordered a box of bacon cure today as well. It sounded too good not to try. I'm always looking for new ways to use my WSM and pork products are my favorite!

For what it's worth, there wasn't much liquid in my container after curing for 8 days. I posted my results in the pork section if anyone's interested.....

Thanks again, Bruce, for the inspiration.

R

bruce
i just got through rubbing down a 7lb deboned
boston butt, cut in half and putting it in
2-1 gal freezer bags and putting in refrig
after reading this post, i think i will leave
juice in and just turn over at 5 days
i did not trim fat off bottom, because i never
do when smoking butts
hope i was'nt supposed to
have not seen this addressed in these posts

John,

I only trimmed the real obvious overly fatty areas on the butt. It wasn't really alot of trimming. Yours will be fine. If it's really fatty, you can trim some off prior to cooking.

Buckboard bacon cure came today! Guess I need to go to the store and pick up some butts! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Got several in the freez but don't wanna wait for them to thaw! /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

I'm gonna try to get some pics of my first attempt at this.I will post results!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back