Brrrrrr!

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Been out camping in the cold for Elk season and came home to warm up for a few days. Prior to camp I made ribs on the Weber to take with us. They were a big hit. Cold out so I baked baguettes and made clam chowder last night.

Did a 2-2-1 on the 14.5” WSM on a windy day. Simple SPOG no sauce.

E77FCD78-3117-4C71-91E9-ADE30D66BD48.jpeg

D98138B7-BB2E-49A0-ACB7-87C8BA472DE0.jpeg

from the King Arthur website I’ve been using the classic baguette recipe.

5B843F42-1271-4D3E-A4C7-C9722B914A48.jpeg

Off the fly recipe for the chowder.
Diced up some homemade bacon. Rendered it down. Added 2 tablespoons olive oil, two chopped carrots, 2 sliced stalks of celery, 1 chopped onion. Sautéed that until the onion was translucent. Put in 4 cans of chopped clams (meat and juice) 2 bay leafs, 4 cloves smashed garlic, 3 sprigs of thyme, pepper, salt, 4 cups of water. Brought to boil, reduced and simmered for 1 hour. In a separate pot I par boiled 5 diced small russet potatoes. Shocked in cold water and rinsed. These get added in about 10 minutes before serving, just enough time to reheat. This avoids making the soup too starchy. Had i gone creamy and added milk or cream is skip this step.

CCF9661A-CD7E-45C9-876E-6379A3459CE9.jpeg

Like all of it except the camping and hunting to cold for my old blood anymore. Remember freezing my butt of in Wisconsin deer hunting many many years ago, great times but no more.

Great looking meals as usual Case. But the question I have to know is did you have any luck? Being on the east coast, Im always envious of anyone that gets to chase elk. It has been on my bucket list since I was a teen, even bought a 7mm Rem Mag "just in case" I ever got the chance to elk hunt. Beautiful animals in beautiful scenery.
Maybe one day.....maybe
Tim

Great looking meals as usual Case. But the question I have to know is did you have any luck? Being on the east coast, Im always envious of anyone that gets to chase elk. It has been on my bucket list since I was a teen, even bought a 7mm Rem Mag "just in case" I ever got the chance to elk hunt. Beautiful animals in beautiful scenery.
Maybe one day.....maybe
Tim
Opening morning I had a herd of 50 run right through us at 30 yards. I could have taken a flock shot since my tag is either sex bit ethically I couldn’t do it. We’ve been all over them this past week but haven’t got in range except for the group that wouldn’t slow down. This is Muzzleloader tag so I need to get a good open shot within 100 yards. 25-50 yards if they are walking. Probably taking today off as it’s raining sideways. Was supposed to snow but it warmed up with the front. Hoping it will snow tonight so we can cut tracks tomorrow.
Using my CVA optima V2 50cal. Northwest edition muzzleloader. Have to use open sights, open ignition. And no plastic on the bullets.
A129BFC6-F290-4389-B44E-5BE63C23AEA1.jpeg

Back