BROWNIE

Dan L NY

TVWBB Member
On my way home from work I saw this bad boy on the side of the road with a sign that said take me I still work. What's weird is that same day I had negotiated and was on my way to pick up a Craigs List Red Head same vintage but I couldn't pass up free and I don't ever remember seeing a brown.

I have gotten into the cleaning / restore and have been trying to source a couple missing parts. I am looking for 1 lower shelf z bar and boy it would be nice to find the folding table hardware.

If anyone has any spare parts they could spare LMK!!!!

Attachments

• br1.jpg
    br1.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 88
  • br2.jpg
    br2.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 84
  • br3.jpg
    br3.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
That's a 3000, in my opinion the best "regular" Genesis. By "regular" I mean not platinum, not Skyline, nothing special but you get the long frame with side burner and the gorgeous wood slats everywhere. I took my 3000 and turned it into a 2000 by taking the side burner off and replacing it with another wood table. I prefer that configuration as I never use the side burner, and I like to keep beverages on the table to the right of the control panel further from the heat.

Great grill, fix it up and post pictures!

I don't get the "take off the side burner". If you put the lid down when not in use (like I do) it works just fine as a table AND I still have use of that burner if I need to be paying careful attention to the grill while cooking

I prefer a table so if I put a beverage on it, I don't have to worry about placing it perfectly on the lid of the burner. Also, even though it seems like it would be convenient to use the side burner, I just never do. Larry, we do have a Wolf range inside that we tend to make sides on, maybe your Wolf self will like that? Anyway, I never once used or even wanted to use the side burner. So I took that off.

The upside is that I have an excellent condition side burner stored just in case I ever decide to start using it.

My side burner blows out way to easy. I would love to buy a side table and remove the burner. I have flip up tables on both sides and if the side burner was removed I could lay longer items down flatter than with the higher burner cover and control there. Just me, I would save it and if I ever slod it I would make it a package deal.

Nice Brownie! I picked up my first Brownie recently and REALLY like the color. Send more pictures throughout the restoration. Enjoy!

How come I never stumble upon grills for free??
Location has something to do with it, but mainly, you have to hit the sale, giveaway, buy/sell sites often. Once a grill gets posted for free, it is usually spoken for within an hour if not minutes. Craigslist and FB Markeplace are the two I get most of my leads from. Most of the other sites just don't have enough membership in the area I live.

I come across a lot of super cheap ones on offer up. My problem is that unless they look pretty nice to begin with, I just don't want to drive too far for them.

Updated pic hard to believe these just get tossed to the side of the road!!!

Im still looking for 1 zbar to finish up the bottom rack, I might end up bending a piece of sheet metal.

Attachments

• doodoo4.jpg
    doodoo4.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 54
I did the same with the 3000 I picked up to convert my Gen 1000 to a long frame 2000. Have absolutely no use for the side burner. I removed it and placed a shelf on the right side and added a flip up, much better configuration for the things I do.
The side burner on my E320 was tested when I bought it and it has never been used since and that's over six years ago.
I did install the side burner on the 1000 frame left over from the conversion. I built a cart for my jumbo joe and use the side burner to light the coals in the chimney.
I have a butane single burner camp stove I can put on the right shelf of the 2000 if I ever need a side burner.

Yah, I can see the use for a side burner. And I would use it if I had one. At least when the wind wasn't blowing too hard. But I prefer the extra side shelf anyway.

Dan's grill could be retrofitted with a right side swing table as well which would provide a good deal more shelf space on that grill as well.

Instead of z-bars you could use wood slats on top of the frame with cross connects at the bottom. I have done this on a few grills like on this top shelf. I am not a big fan of the z-bars since they will scratch when you slide items across the shelves and potentially rust again.

Attachments

• Skyline 3.jpg
    Skyline 3.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Skyline 4.jpg
    Skyline 4.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 39
Stefan, I have often thought I might do something like that in the event I want to do wood and don't have access to Z bars. Simple and effective solution.

Back