Brought a WSM Knife to a Gunfight

Congrats Rusty on a great cook and having a great time. That's what bbq is all about.

Don't think you have to get fancy smokers to beat the pros. We get calls consistently in the KCBS circuit with 2 WSMs.

Keep it simple and the rest will work itself out.

I havent settled on what kind of expansion i am going to go with. I dont think i really want to go the UDS rout and debating on either a bigger offset OR like you say, a second WSM. Either way I am going to need a trailer, IF i get a bigger offset it can already be on a trailer.

ALSO im thinking about home use. USUALLY when I light the pit, i want more space for cooking. So if I want to cook a bunch of stuff, i would have to light a second WSM.

This is how my mind wanders and why i never buy anything. :confused:

rb

I have to wonder if we are related Rusty, the difference I seem to have is the opposite of putting off buying things,I sometimes exercise restraint but most of the time I just stuff more crap in the garage!

... ALSO im thinking about home use. USUALLY when I light the pit, i want more space for cooking. So if I want to cook a bunch of stuff, i would have to light a second WSM.

This is how my mind wanders and why i never buy anything. :confused:

rb

The WSM is pretty much Set and Forget. Offsets not so much....

How much do you value your sleep ?

Last edited:
This a great story! BBQ is competitive but still a tight knit group. Everyone first time cook or competitor has gotten help along the way and been kind enough to pass it on to the next group of first timers. Glad to hear you got some decent results!!

Congrats on the brisket. Nothing like being a fish out of water. I just did first competition with ribs and wings for local charity event. I thought it was backyard and not a big deal. I just brought an electric smoker. The guys with the pull behind smokers gave me some looks. Someone even unplugged my cord. If a guy with electric smoker beats you....you may have problems.

Although, this wasn't for any Kansas City BBQ entry. I think winner got about 1000. You are more ready than me. I still don't have a tent, but I'm looking. Finished 3rd in backyard category out of 6 people. Haha.

That is what pushed me to get the wsm for a competition coming up end of June. Been turning out good ribs for a few years for friends, but competition is a whole other monster from reading. Doing different rib recipes weekly to prepare.

Trying to keep building up the seasoning on the weber.

Good luck to you in future competitions.

Rusty, are there any particular pit builders you are looking at? I'm probably a few years from doing it, but once my wife get out of nursing school I'm thinking about buying a backyard offset. Probably something in the 24x48 range. I know you already have an idea what it takes to run those things after running that big smoker for that other contest. I've got a cheap offset and it's a beating, but a lot of fun. It's just something that I can't do every time, especially with a toddler running around. Out of the Texas builders I like Lone Star Grillz the best. Shirley Fabrication out of Alabama looks outstanding as far as reverse flow. I like the versatility those cookers have where you can use the warmer as a warmer or for more cooking space. You can also just cook vertical in the warmer.

Rusty, are there any particular pit builders you are looking at? I'm probably a few years from doing it, but once my wife get out of nursing school I'm thinking about buying a backyard offset. Probably something in the 24x48 range. I know you already have an idea what it takes to run those things after running that big smoker for that other contest. I've got a cheap offset and it's a beating, but a lot of fun. It's just something that I can't do every time, especially with a toddler running around. Out of the Texas builders I like Lone Star Grillz the best. Shirley Fabrication out of Alabama looks outstanding as far as reverse flow. I like the versatility those cookers have where you can use the warmer as a warmer or for more cooking space. You can also just cook vertical in the warmer.

Dustin, at the moment i am leaning towards building a UDS. Keep the setup small for now, and if we keep moving forward and enjoying it maybe move to the 24 x 48 (because if i buy an offset, thats what im looking for). There is just something that seems to FIT my rag tag team with a WSM and an old oil drum. :)

I do rather enjoy being the Underdog in life.

rb

Back