Broken Auger Pin

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Anyone know what screw holds the auger in place to the motor. Mine sheered off. Also does anyone know what size the two screws that hold the pellet chute in place, looks like I lost them while moving the SF around to see better

rmBbO8n.jpg

Chuck, you're probably going to have to call Weber but it might be this:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230518-215000~2.png
    Screenshot_20230518-215000~2.png
    81.8 KB · Views: 8
So perhaps like the shear pin on your snow blower auger. But, then the other question: Why did it break? Pretty impressive BTW that the auger is that powerful in the SF.
One thing I would love is IIRC Smoke Daddy makes an upgrade kit for most other pellet grills that gives them DC motors, so speed can be varied or motor shut off as the controller sees fit. Similar to the SF system. So it can slow the fan speed down, change speed or shut off auger, and such. Also reverse the auger if needed. Quite expensive though. Close to $700 for it.

So perhaps like the shear pin on your snow blower auger. But, then the other question: Why did it break?
Good question, not sure why it broke. There wasn't any dust packed in, it was just pellets. Had I thought more carefully, I would have been more careful dumping pellets. I suspect there was something in the pellets that bound the auger.

Several people replaced that bolt with a cotter pin. It’s supposed to break if the auger binds up. A buildup of pellet dust at the motor end of the auger is usually the problem
Thanks Lew, I was hoping you would see this post. The shaft on the motor is threaded to accept the pin. I'll call Weber today, but am going to look into this cotter pin deal. Could be just the ticket. Sounds like I need to take the motor and auger with me to the Hardware store to make sure I have a good fit. Good times.....LOL

Just happened to have a cotter pin in the junk drawer, it might be a little light duty, time will tell

9uEGx1G.jpg

Back