BRITU Advice

Timmy R

TVWBB Member
I want to cook ribs for my Dad for his birthday. I leaning toward BRITU recipe except for two slight modifications and need advice...

1. Is it a major impact to leave out the Accent (MSG)?

2. Can I go with a terra cotta pot base in place of the water-filled pan? I love the dry WSM ops and clean-up.

Thanks in advance for any advice and help. I have cooked BB Ribs b-4 on the WSM and used a combo of Raichlen recipes...they were great. But I feel the need to try the BEST Ribs in the Universe

1. No, I do this all the time.

2. Although I can't speak from personal experience on this one, I don't see why not given what I've read here on the forum. The water serves as nothing more than a heatsink, in which case the clay pot base will take its place.

I would advise to measure the temps at the grate just to be sure. I've read that when not using the water pan the grate temps aren't related to lid temps as you would expect them to be had you been using water.

I second Jeremiah's thoughts. I have left out the accent any number of times with the BRITA rub, and they turned out great.
With respect to the clay pot instead of water, I have no experience with it, but imagine if you think they are drying out to much around 3= hrs you could foil for 45 min or so to keep moist, the finish without foil.
Enjoy! Let us know how they are.

Some will say that unless you follow the directions to the letter they aren't BRITU. That may be so, but that way of thinking doesn't lead to much creativity in the kitchen. If your experience tells you that you can improve on a recipe or a procedure, then it would be silly to follow instructions robotically.

The one thing about using the terra cotta saucer is that I think that it would not work well with the standard method of lighting charcoal. You could be battling for a long time to get your temps into range. So if you are going to use the terra cotta, do a minion method start.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David Lohrentz:
Some will say that unless you follow the directions to the letter they aren't BRITU. That may be so, but that way of thinking doesn't lead to much creativity in the kitchen. If your experience tells you that you can improve on a recipe or a procedure, then it would be silly to follow instructions robotically. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I START by following the recipe - only after I do it their way once do I start modifying. I am used to recipes (or lab procedures) being optimized so FIRST time I do it their way.

I won't say you have to follow the instructions to the letter, but, if you desire to deviate, know what the ultimate effect will be. The BRITU uses a standard firing method because the originator, IMO, believes that it's important to have all fuel and smokewood completely burning before introducing meat into the cooker. One could certainly make a case to use the MM without deleterious effect, but I would say drop your smokewood into that chimney of starter coals and get it burning as well if you want to approximate the BRITU cooker firing philosophy.

Edit: Rich, I completely agree.

Timmy,
If you've cooked ribs before and they turned out the way you like them, then I would just do that. I don't want to slam the BRITU recipe, but they are not THE best ribs in the universe. I think Chris puts that recipe there because if you do follow it, you will have some good ribs. That's important for people just starting out that need a base line. Cook your ribs anyway you want, but if I had a special occasion like cooking for my dad, I would probably not try something for the first time on that day.

Timmy,

I've had my WSM for 3 weeks.

The BRITU was my first Q with the WSM. After all, who could resist the "best ribs in the universe", right? As Jerry said -- they're not.

Using the Standard method, it took me 2-1/2 hours to get the temperature down to 275 where I could begin cooking. (Since then I've used the Minion Method with great results.)

The ribs were too salty and overdone although they were still good. Letting the ribs set for 2+ hours with that much salt cured the ribs and made them a little hammy.

If you have Raichlen's Ribs, Ribs, Ribs, you'll find some better low and slow rib recipes there (e.g., Bad to The Bone).

If you do go ahead with the BRITU, use the Minion Method and cut back on the salt.

IMHO

Try the recipe for "Competition Ribs" here in the forum. It's almost foolproof.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2880069052/m/3860093152

wsmsmile8gm.gif

MikeZ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I think Chris puts that recipe there because if you do follow it, you will have some good ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>It's been on TVWB for many years because back in the mid-1990's it was an extremely popular recipe from a guy named Mike Scrutchfield who took the KCBS competition circuit by storm in the early- to mid-1990's using this recipe and the WSM. Mike won the title "Best Ribs In The Universe" at the 1996 American Royal Invitational using this recipe, and that's how the recipe became known by this name.

In my experience, the biggest problem with the recipe is that people do not follow it exactly, to the letter. It's not a forgiving recipe. People omit the honey in the sauce or they omit the sauce altogether. They use too much rub or they rub overnight. They leave out ingredients they don't like or add ones they do like.

I would agree that there are many other good rib recipes out there that rival this one. The competition ribs linked above are an example, but you'll notice that, like BRITU, it suggests a non-Minion Method approach where all the charcoal and smokewood are burning and the temp forced down to 225*F by closing the bottom vents and partially closing the top vent.

Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris (and all). The event is about 3-weeks away so I've plenty of time to prep.

Outstanding point re: the fact that the recipes all use the non-MM to light the charcoal. I will take that seriously into consideration for any recipe I tackle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham: The competition ribs linked above are an example, but you'll notice that, like BRITU, it suggests a non-Minion Method approach where all the charcoal and smokewood are burning and the temp forced down to 225*F by closing the bottom vents and partially closing the top vent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Question: I'm planning on trying the BRITU ribs this weekend. However, I was unable to get chunks of the wood (only chips). If I make chunk-size aluminum foil packages of them, how do I know when to assemble the cooker. The recipe says, "...when the smoke wood is engulfed in flames...". Is it even possible with chips? The chunks are specifically in bold earlier, so maybe not.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Michaels:
Question: I'm planning on trying the BRITU ribs this weekend. However, I was unable to get chunks of the wood (only chips). If I make chunk-size aluminum foil packages of them, how do I know when to assemble the cooker. The recipe says, "...when the smoke wood is engulfed in flames...". Is it even possible with chips? The chunks are specifically in bold earlier, so maybe not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scott, IMHO, the chips in foil would do just fine. To be consistent with the BRITU method, you would want to wait until the volume of smoke from the chips is reduced somehwat before assembling, but I don't think it would make a huge difference if you put the foiled chips on after the coals are ready and then assembled immediately.

However, even with BRITU, I would recommend the Minion method, which removes the issue.

As a fellow newbie, I find myself also feeling like I have to follow a recipe to the letter. However, in my short time on this forum, I've learned that the Pros here have learned that deviations are usually OK.

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe L:
As a fellow newbie, I find myself also feeling like I have to follow a recipe to the letter. However, in my short time on this forum, I've learned that the Pros here have learned that deviations are usually OK. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I totally agree that it's OK to deviate from a recipe. But what irks me is when someone deviates significantly from a recipe during their first attempt and then says "I didn't like that recipe!" That makes no sense whatsoever--you didn't follow the recipe! Kind of like having a friend give you driving directions to their house, you choose not to follow them and get lost, and then blame your friend for the bad directions!

Now, if you try a recipe exactly as written and find that you don't like it, then that's fair enough. Deviate to your heart's content or trash the recipe and try something completely different.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
But what irks me is when someone deviates significantly from a recipe during their first attempt and then says "I didn't like that recipe!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can certainly empathize with that. That sort of thing must be very frustrating for you.

BTW, thanks for this great website and forum. It has answered many of the BBQ questions that have been living in the back of my mind since I began BBQing about 8 months ago.

Best,
Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
I totally agree that it's OK to deviate from a recipe. But what irks me is when someone deviates significantly from a recipe during their first attempt and then says "I didn't like that recipe!" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chris,

I was planning on following the BRITU recipe to the letter, but I was unable to get chunks. So, if I attempt it this weekend, I guess I'll have to deviate a bit. I was just worried that this may be too much of a deviation to even bother with BRITU, or if I should just try another rib recipe until I can follow BRITU exactly as described.

Timmy, I found these to be way too salty, but like Chris mentioned, I did not follow the method to a tee, because I did not sauce mine.

Good point Chris. If you deviate far from the recipe, do not fault the recipe if whatever you are doing does not come out right. Also true (very true) in homebrewing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
I did not follow the method to a tee, because I did not sauce mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a big deviation! The sauce is a very important part of BRITU. I think using a light dusting of rub and mixing the sauce with honey are the two most important ingredients in making BRITU come out being at least good ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff S:
I did not follow the method to a tee, because I did not sauce mine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a big deviation! The sauce is a very important part of BRITU. I think using a light dusting of rub and mixing the sauce with honey are the two most important ingredients in making BRITU come out being at least good ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed, just a light dusting keeps the salt down and the sauce mixed with honey offsets the remaining amount. I suggest if you don't plan on saucing them, cut way back on the salt.

Back