Brisket Timing

John W

TVWBB Member
Hello all! I was planning to do a full packer brisket on the 18.5" WSM this year for the 4th of July. The problem is that I have to leave for about 3 hours during the cook (9:30 AM to about 12:30 PM). Is there any method of cooking a brisket that would provide a window of opportunity that large? I was thinking maybe once it's hit the stall I could put in foil for that long, but then I didn't know about when to start the brisket (approx) to get it to stall around 9:00AM.

I recently got a Stoker, so I can monitor temps while I'm away, but unfortunately there's no tenderness probe :rolleyes:

I was hoping to have the brisket ready for a late lunch around 2:00PM. I'll probably be using a foiled clay saucer in the water bowl too.

This will be the 2nd brisket I've tried. I did the first one last year using the high-heat method, but it came out tough in the flat and crispy on the ends, but I should have covered the ends in foil since there is that ring of heat around the very edge. I could also do a couple flats this time if that would be easier.

I appreciate any advice/insight/reality-checks you have. I'm very new to brisket :) Thanks!

John

Well, no promises, but if it were me I'd start it about midnight doing 225 to 250°. should be ready to foil around 0900. You should be close to tender at 1230. If overcooked a little let it vent and cool before slicing or you can always do chopped brisket

John,

I'd be careful about leaving the brisket 'unattended' when foiled. Things can happen fast, at this stage ;)

Thanks guys! I have the sense that the consensus seems to be to foil it for juiciness, but the midnight cook recipe on the Virtual Bullet site doesn't seem to say anything about that. Would cooking time be more predictable without foiling since heat tends to build up while it's wrapped?

John,

I'd be careful about leaving the brisket 'unattended' when foiled. Things can happen fast, at this stage ;)

Agreed, I've had them finish from this point in as little as 90 minutes up to 5 or 6 hours. MOST of the time it will be 3-4 hours.
You can't predict times, only guess as each piece of meat is different.
another option would be to have it done by 9am, double wrap in towels and put in a ice chest to hold

In my experience, they can dry out on you if you don't foil. I think I would shoot for being ready to foil when you get up, and finishing it by 9:30 and double wrap for the time you'll be away. It will stay hot for a long time in towels. Good luck!

The foil/towel/cooler approach sounds like the best option. Thanks everyone for your input! I'll try to remember to post some pics :)

John

If I were you, I'd start that sucker around dinner time the night before. If you foil as soon as you hit the stall, you'll probably be done between 7am and 9am (assuming a full packer). Foil that sucker and put it in a cooler full of towels and it will keep just fine while you're gone. You can hold for 3-4 hours that way.

If it gets done earlier like 7am, put it in the oven at whatever the lowest setting above 140F that your oven will do. That will hold it indefinitely at a food safe temperature until you're ready to eat.

Back