Brisket this weekend

JHermann

Hello all-

I'm going to attempt my second brisket this weekend. As some of you may know from my last post, it didn't turn out so well. I thought I overcooked it when, in fact, I under cooked it. So, armed with that knowledge, I'm going to try another low and slow Saturday morning with about a 5-8 lb brisket (haven't picked it our yet) in the hopes that we will eat it for dinner Saturday evening. My wife is pretty excited about it, so I need to get this right this time. Any advice, tips, etc is welcomed. Thanks in advance!

Jim

Jim,

Only three tips from me...
Cook past doneness to tenderness.
Find a brisket that has even thickness, or trim to create equal thickness.
And most importantly... Have an Enjoyable, Fun cook !

If you get a 5 to 8 pounder, that will likely be a flat. There is a lot more room for error, if you do a full (packer) brisket. If your timing is off, some part of the full brisket will probably be good. :)

I agree with Danny. I have stayed away from brisket for a while because I was not satisfied with the consistency of the results. But, the method outlined in his link, using butcher paper, was outstanding. I just picked up a plain white roll of butcher paper from Sam's, and gave it a try with a flat. We will be doing this again very soon. I was also a big fan of the simple salt/pepper seasoning.

I agree with the butcher paper. I wrap at 165 degrees. Also just using kosher salt and ground black pepper.

Back