brisket temp

Scott Hoofman

TVWBB Super Fan
I was reading Cooks Illustrated book on Grilling and Bbq'ing the other day and they recommended taking briskets to an internal temp of 210 degrees. Does anyone else do this? With everything that I've read here that temp seems to go a bit high.

I pulled mine off at 189 today and it was juicy. I would think that the flat would be dry as can be at 210. I may be wrong, but everything I have read says to pull at around 190. I also have read about putting the point back on after the flat has been pulled and raise it up to 200. I don't know about 210.

Once a brisket or butt reaches 200 internal it starts drying out, pulling earlier aprox 190 is a better plan.
Jim

I thought that sounded awful high. I like the guys at Cook's Illustrated a lot, so I don't know why they would recommend that high temp. I'm going to have to go back and reread it and see why they think it should go that high.

I can't recall exactly where i picked up this info, but the gist of it is that water boils at ~212? no matter where it comes from. So as the internal meat temp approaches 212? (the actual temp may be different depending on your elevation) the moisture will begin to boil/vaporize and leave via the lid vent.

I have done two briskets, so not very experienced, but both were very moist/tender. I pulled them at approx 205 and rest them wrapped in foil for 2 hrs.
It was based on a recipe that quoted:
"The collagen is what makes the meat tough, but if it is cooked long enough, the connective tissue will break down into gelatin, causing the meat to become tender. Collagen begins to convert to gelatin at about 150 degrees. As the internal temperature increases beyond 150 degrees and even though the collagen is being converted to gelatin, moisture is being driven out of the brisket. As the brisket gets drier it actually starts to toughen again even though the collagen is being converted. This is true as the internal temperature rises to near 200 degrees. But at approximately 210 degrees a dramatic reversal occurs. The brisket becomes remarkably (fork) tender and the rapid increase in the gelatinization of the collagen at this temperature outpaces the loss of moister thus producing a texturally pleasing brisket. An ideal situation."

I also take my butts to 200-205, I find them less greasy at that time. I dont foil them when doing this either. I typically finish the last 10-15 deg in the oven at 300F, so it gets there quickly.

Jim, I haven't had a chance yet to reread the cooks illustrated recipe, but that sounds an awful lot like them. I've only done three briskets with my wsm and have always pulled at approx. 190. I'll have to take my next one up to that range and see what happens.

A few weeks back I smoked my first brisket using the Smoked & Oven finish instrustions. I pulled it @ 2o5 degrees, let it set for an hour or so. Turned out very tasty but dry. My notes say to pull it off at 190 next time

I'll have to give the "Smoked and Oven Finished" a try next time I do a brisket. I've got a chuck roll (first time!) on order for this week. Can't wait.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

There are not enough weeks in the summer, especially when you live in the midwest, to fit all the smoking in that a person would like.
icon_frown.gif

There is a recipe on epicurious.com called Barbecued Texas Beef Brisket. I did it a few weeks ago and when it reached 180, I followed the directions, foiled it, and then warmed it up next day. It was great.

The only thing I did not do is mop it every two hours. That's a lot of work as you have to wait for the WSM to stabilize. I did it every 3 or so hours.

Will do it again...tom

The post above about the reversal is correct. A few briskets ago, I pulled it at 190 and it was a little to dry, even on the fatty side. The next time, however, I pulled it at 210 and it was almost too tender to cut. The brisket is an odd piece of meat.

I separate my point and flat before cooking and set them back together on the smoker. I cook the flat to 195 and leave the point on until it hits about 205. Both come out perfect using this method. I like my point meat to be like pulled pork which I also cook to 205.

On a separate note, I find that picking the right brisket makes all the difference in the world! I try to pick a brisket that looks a little fattier then the rest. Those tend to come out much more moist.

Back