Brisket Slab Prep for Night Smoke

Lory Harrison

TVWBB Member
This is a prep for a slab I smoked from 9pm to 9am.

The results are in a second thread I made.

This is a packer slab untrimmed, I do not buy super trim or what is called Prime. This is a medium sized 12lb slab.

image.jpg7_zpsdwemndj2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

About a pound of fat trimmed off both sides heavily. Slabs have fat throughout the fibers of their meat, you do not need a heavy fat cap.

image.jpg3_zpsmcjod0xt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

All yellerd up with mustard and dredged thru peppercorns smashed in a molcajete, garlic and salt. This will sit for 2-3 days in the fridge or until I'm certain were out of the previous weeks slab.

image.jpg2_zpsinidoguw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For an overnight smoke, I pre pick wood because it's too dark and I'll be too tired to be thinking. Here I've got South Texas Mesquite, these are a mix of 150 degree logs, 10 degree and 20. I've got a burn time of about almost 2 hours here about.

I do not know what temps these produce exactly, I imagine 300 maybe or less, I did fall asleep for a few hours and my fire dwindled at one point and at about 245 am I started it back up full force. Whatever that temp was. I do not as you all know check internal temps of any meats I smoke, there is no need at all to do that.

image.jpg6_zpsjxu7mjtb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Ready for all the all nighter! I wasn't though!!

image.jpg4_zpsdqjugt09.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg2_zpsk1jnqutp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg7_zpsy5cjatuj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

image.jpg3_zpstwh6p8tw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the only thing I use on my slabs while smoking, I drizzle boozy cider over them. This one was pretty good, even if it was from Austin.

image.jpg5_zpsho4x0w7p.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

At about 6 am a bird went in with necks and gizzards.

The result of the brisket is in my other thread

image.jpg7_zpso6b3eewh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Love those action shots, and that chicken is ON! Would love to see some sliced of that Brisket when it's done

It's in my second thread, check it out! Thank you for your kind remarks guys.

That bird was on for 3 hrs and juice flew out of it, I was very happy with it. I almost forgot it too, it was sittin in my fridge 3 days. I was so dead tired.

Awesome job on the cooks will check out the second thread. Love the action shots those were great.

Back