Brisket Size?

CraigH in La Pine

TVWBB Member
Here at Rancho Hobo the WSM is a 18.5 inch. What size/weight brisket will fit without the usual lift in the middle, etc. I'd like to give it a go for grins & giggles and really don't need tons of meat for leftovers.

Craig,H in La Pine

Here at Rancho Hobo the WSM is a 18.5 inch. What size/weight brisket will fit without the usual lift in the middle, etc. I'd like to give it a go for grins & giggles and really don't need tons of meat for leftovers.

Craig,H in La Pine

Its not as much meat as you think after fat renders and it shrinks. Besides thats what vacuum sealing is for. I like about 14, but you got to lift middle pretty much over 12 for few hrs. Sometimes do anyway to avoid liquid pooling. Good luck finding smaller. I seen 10-11 once. I did 12 for pastrami recently...still had to lift middle for liquid to run off.

Last edited:
Why a concern about a “wrinkle” in the middle?
Between trimming and the subsequent “shrinkage”, I’ve not had any issues with final fit. And really, as for a ton of leftovers? You won’t have as many as you think!
I agree with Martin, 14-16 pound briskets seem to fit pretty well by the time they reach temperature! That’s pre trimmed weight just for clarification.
Now I want a brisket!

Stopped by Costco to renew the membership today. While perusing the $500.00 store I viewed the meat dept. There it was, USDA Prime brisket, small enough for Rancho Hobo. We have a winner.

Craig,H in La Pine,

Back