Brisket Rub Recommendations

Preston Bakic

I am looking for a "can't go wrong" brisket rub recipe. My last one wasn't so great and that was mostly my error, under done and tough. I understand that theres going to be a a lot of different opinions which is why I need help cause I have no idea which one to pick...and I am trying to impress my guests.

I will be cooking on my WSM 18.5" and was planning on using pecan wood exclusively.

Thanks y'all!

Modified Louis Charles Henley's All-Purpose Rub
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 Tablespoons Lawry's Seasoning Salt
1 Tablespoon + 1-1/2 teaspoons finely ground black pepper
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon paprika
1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder

Mix all ingredients thoroughly.

I've had great success with Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub
Make sure to use it on burnt ends too. My guests love it with his Bourbon BBQ sauce too.

Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub
3 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 tablespoons table salt
1 tablespoon granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
2 teaspoons mustard powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili or ancho powder
1 teaspoon chipotle or cayenne powder

how adventurous are you? I recommend making worcestershire salt and replacing the salt in a rub recipe with that.

reduce a 1/3-1/2 cup of worcestershire sauce by half, mix in equal parts kosher salt (based on original volume of WS). Pour the slurry on to parchment paper or a silicone mat on a sheet pan and dry in very low oven (you do not want it to burn) over several hours. Grind in a coffee grinder when it's fully dried.

Make sure to use it on burnt ends too. My guests love it with his Bourbon BBQ sauce too.

2 tablespoons table salt
I used the Big Bad Beef Rub on my last brisket and it turned out fantastic. Some good reading on that site ;)

Wow! Thank you everyone for your posts! I am going to think about all of these and go with something...but I will definitely share what I plan on doing along with final photos!

2 tablespoons table salt

I'm going to have to try this... The last line of the recipe gave me a good chuckle! "...Drink the remaining whiskey." :)

Being from TX, I take my brisket seriously (obviously) and IMO, the basis for a good outcome starts with the rub. Whatever concoction you decide upon, I feel that at least a 12 hour application period serves the critter best before hitting the smoke.

One thing that I have found over the years is the actual choice of salt makes a huge difference....don't use kosher or table salt...ever. Table salt is too finely ground and kosher's flat crystal structure does not lend itself to an even application once mixed with other rub ingredients in my experience. Personally, I like to use a somewhat "moist" sea salt that is not too finely ground. My theory is that a "moist" salt will suck in all the flavors from your other rub ingredients for a more rounded and better distributed flavor. Also, I feel that the non-uniform cyrstalline structure of sea salt adheres better to the brisket once water and water soluable proteins begin to be pulled to the surface of the meat.

Anyway, on to my production rub recipe....

I always make a big batch well ahead of any planned smoking to allow the flavors to meld. It may seem salt heavy, but I feel the other ingredients need to compliment and not dominate. I have ZERO sugar or other sweetener in my rub.

1 Cup Sea Salt (Personally, I like the Kirkland branded product from Costco that comes in a 20oz container)
1/2 Cup Finely Ground Telicherry Pepper
1/4 Cup Sweet Paprika
1 TBS Finely Ground Garlic Powder
1 TBS Finely Ground Onion Powder
1 TBS Finely Ground Mexican Oregano
1 TSP Cayenne Pepper
1 TSP Yellow Mustard Powder
1 TSP Brown Mustard Powder
1 TSP Finely Ground Szichuan Pepper Corns
1 TSP Celery Seeds

All of the above ingredients, save the salt and pepper, can go into a spice mill and be pulverized into oblivion and then mixed with the S&P in an air tight container.

I roughly use 1 TBS per 4-5 pounds of trimmed brisket. I do not use any Worchesterchire Sauce or Yellow Mustard prior to rub application on a well dried brisket.

Hope this is good info for at somebody.

****Of course, any/all of the above flavoring ingredients can be customized to individual tastes****

Last edited:
I have to be on a low-sodium, low-sugar/carb diet (Meniere's disease and type-2 diabetes) so sugar or much salt in a rub is a no-no. My rub is black pepper, granulated garlic (from Costco), very little sea salt, paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder. Occasionally I'll use cayenne in the rub but I find I'd rather have the heat in the sauce - I can make tongue-numbing sauce. No juices (too much sugar) but I DO use straight Jack Daniels as a spray. I'll never win any competitions but when I cook for a party, I never seem to have leftovers, so I guess I'll keep doing what I do.

I am looking for a "can't go wrong" brisket rub recipe. My last one wasn't so great and that was mostly my error, under done and tough. I understand that theres going to be a a lot of different opinions which is why I need help cause I have no idea which one to pick...and I am trying to impress my guests.

I will be cooking on my WSM 18.5" and was planning on using pecan wood exclusively.

Thanks y'all!

Kosher Salt + Coarse Ground Black Pepper

I prefer slightly more pepper than salt (by volume).

Back