Brisket Problems

Tom Hubbard

When I smoked my first brisket, I had a weird issue I have never seen written about.

The brisket ended up shredding when I cut it, almost like pulled pork, or a roast that was cooked in a crock pot.

My thought is either I cooked it too long (about 1 hr per pound @ 250-275), or it was just a bad cut of beef.

Any one ever have a similar issue?

It was overcooked.

Brisket turns into "pot roast" if it gets too far past the point of tender.

You can lose it by either overcooking it, or sometimes by holding it too long in a cooler after cooking it.

I do all of mine by HH, and usually just let mine rest on the counter for a half hour or so.

Tom, a couple of questions. Did you cut across the grain?Did the flat shred or did the point? The point seems to shred easier than the flat

I like to buy a packer and separate the point and flat. I cook the flat under the point. this is troublesome because the flat always comes off first, but worth it. I cook the flat until a fork goes in easily. I cook the point until it pulls. we usually eat the flat for dinner and freeze the pulled beef in vacuum packs for later sandwich glory:)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:
I like to buy a packer and separate the point and flat. I cook the flat under the point. this is troublesome because the flat always comes off first, but worth it. I cook the flat until a fork goes in easily. I cook the point until it pulls. we usually eat the flat for dinner and freeze the pulled beef in vacuum packs for later sandwich glory:) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lou, I've always wondered how cooking the two parts would turn out. Thanks for the tip.

Back