brisket.... piece?

Becky M-M

TVWBB Pro
i have been wanting to make some brisket for a while now.... but feel really intimidated by it. and it is about twice the price of a butt so it would hurt more if i messed it up.

i found a small package at the store today that said, Brisket Trimmed. it is pretty small, about 2.5 lbs i believe. i know that it is not a true brisket.

can i play/practice with this? or is it already not going to turn out well because of the cut?

disclaimer: though i have never made brisket, i am originally from Texas.... so i know what i am looking for.... just dont know how to accomplish it! lol

You may have seen my post looking for advice on a full brisket so I am a brisket rookie. But my research tells me that a 2 lb'r is a challenge. I would smoke for a short time and foil at 160 with broth until done

Again, I don't speak from personal experience but learnings from reading

For 10 bucks or less what do you have to loose

But to me a 2 lb'r is a steak and not going to feed a family
icon_smile.gif

been on here for a couple of hours and found some info on these baby briskets.... not good though.... seems there are so small they are doomed to be jerky.

i grabbed it because of its size... wanted to practice with it. but it seems like i should have held off for the real thing.

i was going to cook it up with a bunch of other stuffs for Saturdays game.... baby brisket... pork steaks... chicken....moinks.... stuffed baby peppers....

no... im not over-extending myself at all.
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Been there and done that. A while back I came across a 4lb partial brisket flat reduced at the store and thought I'd see what the deal was with these little pieces of beef for myself.

You wouldn't believe how long it took to get tender if I told you. Good think it was just for kicks and not for a meal. And I do believe it came from a pretty big ole tough steer. It didn't qualify as brisket "practice"...more like a waste of time and charcoal.

What Jeff said: Cook until 160-165 and foil with liquid. Cook until probe tender (which could be 200 or more). Rest for a period of time and enjoy.

Small pieces of brisket are hard to recommend. Large flats (> 6lbs) or, better whole packers are much better - and much easier - to cook successfully.

I would also advise foiling but at a lower temp. You want to foil before the muscle fibers contract too much, and that means 155 tops. Normally I would not add liquid but it can help when cooking a small piece of brisket.

Cook, as noted above, till tender. (I would not bother temping after foiling.)

yeah i dont think i will be playing with this tomorrow.... im pretty disappointed with my buy. i will probably try it sometime during the week.

i got a game to watch tomorrow and dont want to be messing with something new.

Back