Brisket - Oven Hot Hold

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Finally got to do my Brisket with the planned Home Oven Hot Hold. If you don't like reading, I'll cut to the chase, the oven didn't workout for hot holding, the temp caused the brisket to go up in temperature, and I knew that's not a good thing, so I went back to the tried and true heated cooler with blankets. Total hold time was 6 hours of which the first 2 was in the oven

Started out with this budget brisket from WinCo

1no12V2.jpg

Brined it over night in "The Blend" one of my favorite packaged SPG

7MiR5D0.jpg

Put it on at 10:15PM Friday night

wklCu6v.jpg

Hit 165 at 5AM

NCj0efB.jpg

xRsBM2f.jpg

I made tallow from the trimmings for the hot hold rest, I added some The Blend, just cuz

IJhboXU.jpg

Pulled the brisket at 205 in the point and 213 in the flat, it wasn't jiggly tender, but it was tender, I put the tallow in the bottom of the foil and on top of the brisket for the hold

31xlu5j.jpg

The oven get up for the hot hold

jE5eS8W.jpg

Not looking good

aKvzJho.jpg

Pulled it from the hot hold after two hour into the heated cooler for 4 hours and unwrapped for dinner after 6 hours

lzcAJkn.jpg

Moist, but not juicy

QsCpzZN.jpg

SScMlFN.jpg

92JEN19.jpg

7ehmMAN.jpg

Plated with my favorite side, smoked tater

XuC8wYV.jpg

The best news of the day, WinCo had one of my favorite beers, new label, same good ol' beer

KaVsmLR.jpg

Question to all my BBQ brothers & sisters: To do the hot hold, you let the brisket cool until an IT of 170, then wrap it up tightly and place in the oven. My question is, should we be letting the brisket cool to 170 before wrapping it up tightly and placing it in a cooler? I've always wrapped mine immediately and place into the cooler right off the grill, probably going into the cooler at 200 or more

That looks like a very fine meal!

I'm far from expert but I've read that wrapping immediately after the cook may cause it to cook even more. So I rest on the counter for a span of time before wrapping to hold in a cooler.

@ChuckO Thanks for sharing. I might have missed it if you mentioned it above. What temp was the oven at?

I'm also not the right one for brisket advice, yet I'm curious.

That looks like a very fine meal!

I'm far from expert but I've read that wrapping immediately after the cook may cause it to cook even more. So I rest on the counter for a span of time before wrapping to hold in a cooler.
I haven't seen anything, but it makes I have to believe there's so truth in that

@ChuckO Thanks for sharing. I might have missed it if you mentioned it above. What temp was the oven at?

I'm also not the right one for brisket advice, yet I'm curious.
The lowest setting is 170, and when I tested it, it bounced around from the high 150's to the high 170's. But I couldn't get it to stay under 180 with the brisket in it

I've followed what Harry Soo recommends... Since like Harry, I wrap during the cook, after reaching Tenderness, I remove from the WSM and open the foiled brisket and let it cool on the counter until 170 then close and put in the Cambro.

I've followed what Harry Soo recommends... Since like Harry, I wrap during the cook, after reaching Tenderness, I remove from the WSM and open the foiled brisket and let it cool on the counter until 170 then close and put in the Cambro.
Thanks Bob, your advise is much appreciated, it was you that got me through my first brisket, several years ago. One of these days I'll have to try wrapping, your point of wrap is interesting. A lot say to wrap at 165 / when the bark sets in, the wrapping at the point of reaching tenderness makes good sense to me

Hi Chuck.
I should have placed a period following the first use of the word 'cook'. ;)
I wrap when color and bark are at my liking.
At tenderness, I remove from the WSM & open the foiled brisket to cool it off.
Once cooled, it gets rewrapped and placed in the Cambro.

Last edited:
I've done brisket 3x since last summer using hot hold and all 3x have been great. Here's what I do.

Bring flat to 190 with no wrap.

Pull and hot hold at 150 wrapped tight. If your oven doesn't do 150, go as low as you can. Or use some other device to hot hold.

Hold at least 10 hours.

Serve.

Result: Moist juicy brisket.*

Here's a thread from another site from a guy who hot held over the past weekend and the brisket came out great:

Good luck

*Won't work with select grade brisket

Last edited:
My oven has a warm setting but its 170 I believe. You can calibrate it down. I did a hot hold on a pork butt saturday and it stayed around 155 the whole time which is decent. 140 is ideal. I just wanted to try it. I've also got a turkey roaster. I think it works a little better because the heat comes from around the sides, rather than from the bottom. I'll need to play with it some, but at least I have an option if I need to hold a brisket.

Looks extremely tender......most people don't have much knowledge on long cook meals and I am sure it pleased most!

More importantly I want to ask about that brisket knife. I have almost bought that one many times......
I would appreciate your input on how it works and does it work good for anything else. It looks like it wouldn't be good for anything but I have watched Malcom use it in some of his videos. Thanks!

Looks extremely tender......most people don't have much knowledge on long cook meals and I am sure it pleased most!

More importantly I want to ask about that brisket knife. I have almost bought that one many times......
I would appreciate your input on how it works and does it work good for anything else. It looks like it wouldn't be good for anything but I have watched Malcom use it in some of his videos. Thanks!
It's a Dexter 12" and it's a good brisket (cake) knife. I bought it from Malcom, just cuz. You can buy it on Amazon, for $21, but that's not a Malcom knife. To my knowledge, Brisket/Cake knives are only good for brisket & cake. There are much better knives out there, this was mostly a appreciation purchase. I enjoy Malcom's videos because "you know it's gonna be good." :)

It's a Dexter 12" and it's a good brisket (cake) knife. I bought it from Malcom, just cuz. You can buy it on Amazon, for $21, but that's not a Malcom knife. To my knowledge, Brisket/Cake knives are only good for brisket & cake. There are much better knives out there, this was mostly a appreciation purchase. I enjoy Malcom's videos because "you know it's gonna be good." :)
Excellent.....I think I seen it for $35 CAD which i working on close to $25 USD.
1 more easy one for you.....it doesn't look sharp at all....is this why you cut nothing else with it?
It's fun to watch Malcom......you can tell when some things are better than others....those are usually the things I like to try to cook.

1 more easy one for you.....it doesn't look sharp at all....is this why you cut nothing else with it?
It's pretty sharp, this wasn't the best brisket to give it a true test run. There are considerably better knives out there, however this one works for me.
That one Eric suggest is probably a much better knife, and if the price is right, you'd do well to buy it

Whether you go smooth blade or serrated is your choice. Neither is right or wrong. A smooth blade will slice right through the moist meat without problems and without trying tear it up. However, if you have a thick crust, it is hard to get it through the bark without beginning to smash the brisket. So a lot of back yard cooks - and professional pitmasters too - prefer serrated which saws right through the crust. The preferred knife is probably something like a 50/50 split. Best option: Get BOTH. :cool:

Back