Brisket on an 18"

Matt-M

How are getting a 15# brisket to fit on your 18"? I would like to keep it whole. The ones I was looking at tonight are all to long.

Mals

Chris in one of his Brisket recipes on the virtual bullet suggests a small log. Put foil over the log and drape the brisket over until it shrinks enough to fit. I myself drape them over a rib rack. https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessories/cooking/barbecue-racks-and-roasters/6605.html . If you don't have one you are going to need it anyway for ribs.. I always put foil on both edges of brisket to keep them from burning,because the outer edges of a WSM are always quite a bit hotter than the center. Plus the meat on one edge is a lot thinner.

You just shoehorn it between the two grate handles on the top grate. I sometimes place a small foil-wrapped block of smoke wood underneath to support it arching up in the middle. If it shrinks part way through cooking, you can remove the block. If not, leave it be.

Some briskets these days are really long and skinny and the end of the flat is thin and likely to burn. Some will trim off a few inches, throw it in the freezer, and grind it for sausage or mix it into burgers down the road.

See two photos in this recent post:

I used a foil wrapped fire brick under it in the middle and like others waited for it to shrink to fit.

Saw a vid from Louisiana Cajun Recipes where he angled the top grate in such a way that the brisket could lay "flat" and the elevated portion of the grate would safely fit under the lid.

Back