Brisket--my nemesis is Brisket

TeddyC

Last week I smoked a brisket and I have 2 questions/issues:

1 - I followed Chris' execellnt instructions on the Midnight cooking of a brisket. Rubbed it good with Jeff Phillips rub (Jeff from Smoking Meat Forum). After taking the brisket to about 200 degrees or so, I wrapped it in foil and into a cooler (the cooler was also wrapped with a few towels). Honestly, I left the wrapped brisket in the cooler for several hours. When I upwrapped it, I found the rub to be very soggy. I don't know if the sogginess has anything to do with being wrapped so long. What can I do to prevent the rub from being soggy on the finished product? I have noticed that on some of my smokes (for example st. louie ribs, I'll get soggy rub--which I absolutely hate).

2 - The brisket was good, I had a lot of juice coming out of the meat but I was wondering how I can get more flavor out of the meat? For example, when I do steaks on the grill, I would normally marinate the steak for a day or so. Would ya'll recommend marinating a brisket or injecting? My fear with injecting is, the liquid will be concentrated only in the injected areas, instead of throughout the entire meat.

Thanks all!

We always inject. If you inject about every square inch it won't pool or pocket in the meat.

Foiling will cause the bark to be soft. I now use red butcher paper for that reason. You can put it back on to firm up the bark after removing from the foil.

No 1. The reason your bark is getting soggy is because you wrapped and put in the faux cambro. I do not know your cooker but I assume you're on a WSM. If so, I recommend the "WSM warming oven" to preserve the bark. When your are about 10* from internal finish temp, pull the Mid and top sections off the fire (lower section), place it on a hot water heater pan (or some other pan), and let the food coast up to serving temp. This will keep the food in a dryer environment and won't kill your bark. I leave my temp probes in the meat and on the grate to ensure I don't get into the danger zone. If so< I've killed the fire with a kettle lid and can reassemble the WSM to let the residual heat back into the cooker. You'll be surprised at how long it will hold the heat without reassmbling it. I held the T-bird for 1.5 hours this way and preverved the crispy skin I worked so hard for.

IMG_1131.jpg

Last edited:
Dwain, you are so FULL of it! Great ideas, that is. :wsm: First your leftover brisket tacos and now this. I'll have to look up your other posts....

Time for a trade back, someone here at TVWBB posted about screwing a small block of wood to the back of your Maverick, add a ss hook to the top of the block and you can hang it from one of the handles (we have the same garage door handles). I love it because the thermometer is then part of the WSM and not on a table where it can be pulled or knocked off.

Of course you're right about the foil wrap causing the soggy rub (bark) -- there are other considerations too. Try a different rub. Don't use so much rub. (Jeff's is good, but he pushes a heavy coating which will get soggy easily.)

All in all, I like your suggestion best, Dwain. Lets me use my cooler for beer (!!!). Very elegant solution for soggy bark and tough, chewy skin. If you have the right vehicle and room, you could even use it to transport to grandma's (or daughters).

You get my vote for the solution of the year!! Now all I need is another suitable lid to damp the coals... craigslist!

Rich

Back