Brisket help....

E Brunner

TVWBB Member
My wife and I picked up our 1/4 cow a couple weeks ago, I was very excited to get my hands on the brisket. That is until I unwrapped it and saw that the butcher had completely removed the fat cap.It's around 5-6 lb flat, I have never cooked a brisket without the cap. Does anyone have any pointers on this? My preferred method is low and slow.

I over trimmed one of my first brisket cooks but I was doing LNS and it turned out fine. I would suggest you keep a close eye on the internal temp and foil it sooner than later say around 160 that way you trap the moisture it will give off during the stall. Leave room in the foil to hold the juice. Foil it securely but not tight. Dwain's idea sounds good. Some might suggest injecting it but I have never done that with a brisket so I don't know.
Good luck.

The fat cap doesn't really add any moisture to the meat, the fat just renders and drips off especially if you usually cook it fat cap down. The moisture in the meat comes from the the cologen attached to the muscle fibers.

You'll be just fine. Rub doesn't stick to fat so you'll get a great bark. Like Bob said it doesn't add moisture. I'd inject with the grain of the meat with some beef base and aus ju. It'll be tasty.

Back