Brisket from the WSM 18

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
Older cook pic. Used Pecan wood chunks, empty water pan wrapped in foil for about 16 hours.
Dtdszpp.jpg

Salt and heavy pepper rub.

Last edited:
Nice job mate! I’ve done 3 briskets in 2021. If I had to guess, 8 or 9 to date. 2 of the 3 I smoked this year were purchased from Wal-Mart. Choice was the grade on both and purchase price around $50 for 24-18 lbs. The 3rd p.m. brisket was purchased from Snake River Farms and was an 18 lb Wagyu. Price on the Wagyu brisket was $175. I know that’s a pricey piece of meat but it was totally worth it. The flat was full of fat, tasty. The point was heaven. Other stats- all three were smoked at 225 degrees on a Rec Tec wood pellet pooper. All three were wrapped with pink butcher paper when they hit 170 degrees. Wait!, I take that back. One of the Wal-Mart briskets I didn’t use butcher paper. I fell asleep on that cook and it went from start to finish w/o butcher paper

Something else, our house oven hasn’t worked in several years. Wife’s Aunt bought us a convection oven sold through Emril LaGasse, the larger size but certainly not big enough ti fit a packer brisket in. The point I want to make is in the past to save on outdoor cooking fuel I would sometimes finish my briskets I the house oven after they were wrapped but the last couple years, w/o a working indoor oven, all baking, smoking is done outdoors on either the Rec Tec or my other smoker/grill, a Masterbuilt 560 gravity charcoal smoker grill

Not that anyone asked but, the Masterbuilt was purchased as I missed the charcoal taste the wood pellet smoker/grill fails to provide. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy using the wood pellet smoker/grill and use it religiously for packer briskets since the pellet hopper holds 20 lbs. of wood pellets, more than enough to smoke a packer brisket w/o having to bother refueling like is needed with the Masterbuilt 560 gravity fed charcoal grill. Each has their place

Back