Brisket for family reunion potluck

Charles H.

TVWBB Super Fan
Last edited:
I will post some pictures tomorrow, since I will be packing everything up and taking it to the reunion it should not be nearly as hectic around here as it is when we are hosting.
There's not much to do now except let it cook and cook and cook....

My smoker is a 22" WSM.
The temp got up to 235 around 6:00 and I didn't want it to keep going up so I closed the vent some and then we left the house to have dinner out.
When we got back around 7:30 the temperature had dropped to 178.
I opened up the vent and when the temperature got back over 200 I closed the vent using my trusty skewer as a gauge.
The cooker settled in around 215 and has been pretty steady since then.
Not much to look at but here is another pic of the Maverick.

23:20 WSM cruising by chashint1, on Flickr

Cook notes...
I started the cook at 15:30 Friday.
The WSM was running ~215 till it started rising >230 around 18:00, I adjusted the intake and we left home for ~1.5 hours and the WSM was <180.
Adjusted the intake again and by 21:00 it was running ~220.
Around 01:30 the Maverick alarm woke me up and the WSM was running at 240, I didn't adjust it, I reset the Maverick to 250 and went back to sleep.
Got up at 05:45 and started prepping the beans.
The WSM was at 230 and the meat was at 187. The thin end of the flat was ready but the thick side of the flat wasn't.
At 06:15 I increased the WSM to ~270.

This was a strange brisket.
The thicker end of the flat never did really give it up like normal but I knew the thinner end was over cooking so I just went ahead and pulled it.
The little slice in the picture is from the thin end and it is a little over cooked, less than perfect but still very acceptable.
I am sure there will be some perfect slices in there so where...LOL
The decile is awesome.

It's a beautiful morning, the beans are still cooking and smelling great.
The brisket is not perfect but it will be better than the store bought Q that will show up at the reunion. I know, day old take out Q is not a very high bar, but it is what it is.

Should be a great get together, my brothers and my sister will be there so I will have some people I know to visit with.
Time to get cleaned up and ready to go.
Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
The brisket and beans were a big hit at the potluck.
Beautiful day to have it too.

Looks good from here Charles - nice smoke ring on the meat. I am still trying to perfect my brisket technique so I really appreciate the blow by blow pictures and cook notes - that is very helpful...

Regards,

John

Back