Brisket .... for chili

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
With Halloween just a few days away, I needed to kick it into gear to get my cauldron of chili ready for our annual party. Since everything's better with smoked brisket in it (right, Rich D?!?), that meant that I got to cook up a brisket so I could have "leftovers" to dice up for the chili.

My schedule really got away from me this weekend (it's tournament time in AYSO soccer, so spent all day Saturday as a referee, while also getting to watch my daughter's final League tournament game in Water Polo.....), so I went searching for a brisket at about 10:30 on Sunday morning. Forgot my CostCo card, and customer service was a madhouse, so didn't feel like wading in there to get a temporary one. Headed over to Smart 'n' Final, and found plenty of Select briskets, so picked up a 16 pounder and brought it home.

I set up the WSM22 for a 300F cook with my Cyber-Q, and while the pit was getting up to temp, I commenced to trimming. Probably took about 2-3 pounds of fat off of this one, and then gave it a nice blanket of Dizzy Pig Red Eye Express:

43788971930_c821ed6880_k.jpg

After trimming and seasoning, the WSM was at about 275, so I decided to get the brisket on, as I had to get my weekend batch of bread going, plus I still had to make the chili!! The brisket went on at 11:45, and at 3:45, it was 170F, so I foiled it, and put it in the oven at 225F (we had to go out to see friends, so I didn't want to keep going at 300F.) Here's how she looked prior to the foil:

44882063594_6cbd73346f_k.jpg

We got home at about 7:15, and the brisket probed tender, so I pulled it out to slice up:

45558672902_4b29eb501b_k.jpg

I haven't made a Select brisket in some time (mostly since the price difference for Select at SnF vs. Prime at CostCo is only $1/lb), but this one turned out great. I could probably have cooked it about 30-45 minutes more, but it was tender, with a good flavor from the smoke and rub. I also saved up the juices from the foil, which, when defatted, will be added to the chili along with the cubed point. Here is how the chili looked after a few hours of simmering:

43788970530_abc3766c89_k.jpg

.....and, of course, the bread, too!

44892799154_7586681c28_k.jpg

Thanks for lookin', folks! Hope you had a great weekend, and Happy Halloween!!

R

Way to do it Rich, chili looks fantastic you're going to love it.
I'll be doing my chuck roast smoke when I get home from the doctor today. I will also be making chili with the smoked chuck roast on Halloween, been doing that for years, but this will be a new first with the chuck roast.

That's a fine looking batch of chili. Bet it tastes as good as it looks. Mighty nice bread you cooked also.

Haven't done a Smart 'n Final brisket in years. Occasionally they have choice. Actually, haven't done a brisket since forever. Should change that.

Way to do it Rich, chili looks fantastic you're going to love it.
I'll be doing my chuck roast smoke when I get home from the doctor today. I will also be making chili with the smoked chuck roast on Halloween, been doing that for years, but this will be a new first with the chuck roast.

Chuck Roast was my backup plan if I couldn't find a brisket yesterday, Rich! Smoking up your chuck will definitely add to the chili flavor profile! My chili already has ground chuck, and diced rump roast (on sale) in it, so just need to mix in the brisket when I heat it up (I always add my smoked meats @ heat up time so they don't get stringy.)

That's a fine looking batch of chili. Bet it tastes as good as it looks. Mighty nice bread you cooked also.
Haven't done a Smart 'n Final brisket in years. Occasionally they have choice. Actually, haven't done a brisket since forever. Should change that.

Thanks, Robert. Yep, I've lucked into a Choice brisket or two at SnF that gets mixed in with the usual Select, but not this weekend. Turned out just fine!

R

What a busy day Rich and just a masterful cook. Outstanding. Brisket, chili and bread look fantastic. You should have a great party with eats like that!

Back