Brisket Flat

Hey guys...so I didn't realize when I got a brisket flat from my local beef farm that so many of you frown on them but I'm now stuck with it. This weekend we are smoking 2 bellies on my neighbors smoker and I volunteered to do the brisket.
What temp and how long for a 4.5 lb untrimmed flat? Should I trim the fat cap? I was thinking 6 hours or thereabouts? And I will probably foil? What temp to foil 170?
Thanks a bunch guys...read the other flat posts but they didn't call out the specifics.

Flats aren't so bad as long as you braize them (Tx Crutch). They are just so lean they have the potential to dry out if you don't. When it gets to the color you want you can wrap it. That's probably about 3 hours. I prefer to go by probe tender vs temp for a doneness test but it will probably be done in about 5 to 6 hours total. The classic cookbook Smoke and Spice and has pretty good flat recipe called Dallas Dandy. If you google it you'll find the recipe online. I hope this helps.

Dwain, I will have to try that as I have a flat in the freezer that i was planning to do corn beef, but now will try dandy dallas, as I have the book right beside me. Anything with beer in it can't be all bad.....................d

Last edited:
Thanks Dwain.....that sound good to me! I pumped to do this as much as we are to making our 4 th batch of bacon.
Ill google Dallas Dandy

I do flats all the time and they turn out awesome. I pick up them up at Costco, 4-8 lbs, USDA choice grade. I did a 4.7 lb flat last weekend put it on @10:30 am, foiled at 170' 3pm. Pulled @ 205, at 5 pm, let it rest until 6 pm and it was perfect!

Forgot to say I am running at 225-230 degrees

Last edited:
Flats aren't so bad as long as you braize them (Tx Crutch). They are just so lean they have the potential to dry out if you don't. When it gets to the color you want you can wrap it. That's probably about 3 hours. I prefer to go by probe tender vs temp for a doneness test but it will probably be done in about 5 to 6 hours total. The classic cookbook Smoke and Spice and has pretty good flat recipe called Dallas Dandy. If you google it you'll find the recipe online. I hope this helps.

Thanks Dwain. I saved that recipe. Looks good

Gonna put it on at 7am tomorrow am....prepping it now...gonna use the Dallas dandy as suggested.
What temps are you guys thinking? I was going to shoot for 225.

Put the brisket on around 8 am and she's up to 165 and kind of stalled. I've got the smoker dialed in around 24o despite the wind. I think my makeshift shield out of plywood scraps is helping!
Gonna foil at 170.
Bacon went on my neighbors smoker at 1130....looking great already. Straight applewood the whole time. Ohhhhh and to help with waiting we are having bloody Mary's with homemade bacon infused vodka!
Emmmmmmm bacon, brisket, and bloody Mary's......gotta kick the spring fever somehow!

Put the brisket on around 8 am and she's up to 165 and kind of stalled. I've got the smoker dialed in around 24o despite the wind. I think my makeshift shield out of plywood scraps is helping!
Gonna foil at 170.
Bacon went on my neighbors smoker at 1130....looking great already. Straight applewood the whole time. Ohhhhh and to help with waiting we are having bloody Mary's with homemade bacon infused vodka!
Emmmmmmm bacon, brisket, and bloody Mary's......gotta kick the spring fever somehow!

I wish I could cook like that!!:rolleyes:

Back