Brisket Bonanza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff S.

TVWBB Fan
I asked my oldest daughter what she would like for 4th of July weekend, and she said brisket.
I found 3 packers at walmart (excel)for $1.28 per pound.
I ended up with 37.43 lbs of brisket (everything they had) /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Only thing is the fresh date is tomorrow (06/29/04) They look fine though.
Im planning on starting them this Friday night and doing an all nighter.
Will this meat keep this long in the fridge?
I hate to freeze as Im sure it will take day's to thaw.
Also I seen somewhere where you can add 3 empty veggies cans and stack on an extra cooking grate.
Since I plan to do all 3 briskets at once, this would be perfect for me (cheap too)
What size of grate do I need, and where to get?
If anyone out there has tried this, please let me know your experiances.
Thanks all!

The recommendations on the USDA website (see URL below) state to cook or freeze 3-5 days after purchase so you should be fine as long as your fridge is set sufficiently cold (40*F or below).

USDA product dating

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff S.:
Also I seen somewhere where you can add 3 empty veggies cans and stack on an extra cooking grate. What size of grate do I need, and where to get? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The Increasing Cooking Capacity article has some photos of what you're talking about. Any grate that's 15-17" in diameter will work. I would check at hardware stores and home centers for replacement grates. The bottom WSM grate is 17", but must be special ordered from Weber at 800-446-1071.

Regards,
Chris

Besides size of grate, is any better than the other?
Id rather spend a little more for a longer lasting grate than buying an el cheapo?
Has anyone ever done three briskets at once in the WSM?
I see no reason why it cant be done with an extra rack, but Im still pretty new at this, and thought I'd ask.
Oh yeah, in my earlier post I said the "fresh date" was 06/029/04, its actually worded as the "sell by date".
This meat is in cryovac, and my fridge is below 40 degrees, however if needed I could throw in the deep freeze if any think that would be best for a Friday evening cook.
Any help with freezing / not freezing would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Should I expect a longer cook having 3 of them in there?
I figure the time I loose wrestling them around to mop and such will definatley add time.
Also, should I rotate them around or just leave them be?
One last question,,,, as I only have one probe for the meat temp, which brisket would be the best to stick it in top/ middle/ bottom?
Of course I know I will have to probe all at some point.
I do have an instant read I could stick in one of them.
Thanks all.

Jeff, I think the additional mass will have more to do with getting the smoker to temp (and keeping it there) than length of cook time. Each piece is still a given size so it should take the same to cook given a normal smoker temp. I, however, could be wrong on this and hope someone will correct me.

Rotating would even out the cook times so, presuming they're all the same size (more or less), they'd be done around the same time.

I'd stick the probe in the brisket that you'd expect to be done first. That'd likely be either the smallest one or the one at sitting on the top grate (i.e. the hottest grate). The others would either be done when that one's finished, or, at minimum, the others wouldn't be done yet but you wouldn't overcook.

If one brisket finishes before the others, you could foil & stow it in a cooler and then move the probe to one of the other pieces.

Joe

Hey Joe - where do you get your briskets and how much do you pay. I live in Clarendon Hills and this area is not known for being brisket country.

Rich

Rich,

I haven't done much brisket lately (shoulder w/ some ribs thrown in) but the last ones I bought were cryovac flats (about 3lbs) from Sam's Club. They're pretty lean so I was brining them overnight to keep them moist. I'll have to check the last one left in my freezer for last year's price (or I'll check if I'm at Sam's before I head home tonight /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ).

Looking into my list of Chicago area BBQ sources I have the following for packer cut briskets. I haven't been there nor called them so don't know if you can still get brisket from them.

Ex-Cel Corned Beef
1009 W Lake St (between Racine & Halstead)
Chicago, IL 60607
312-666-2535

The other option is to ask at the butcher counter at Sam's Club or Costco to see if they can special order them.

Joe

Rich & Joe,

I'm going to let you guys in on a little secret. There's a little grocer in Darien (very close to you Rich) that has a GREAT meat department. It's called Westbrook Market and is on the corner of Cass and 63rd. They usually have good deals on butts and picnics, all fresh, and I've been getting my briskets from them. They're whole, packer cuts. You may have to ask for them and they can be pretty picky about which supplier they get them from so sometime you'll have to make your request by monday or Tuesday for a weekend cook. They have really done me right. I've paid as little as $1.39/lb for the briskets. I talk to the guys there a lot, not asking for special treatment, just chatting with them and letting them know how much I appreciate their service. The store also has a great produce department.

I work in Burr Ridge and usually stop in once or twice a week to see what they're offering. Their specials run from Thursday to Wed. Earlier this year they had butts for $.89/lb, now they've been running $1.29 or so. With these prices, they usually beat Sam's. I think I'm getting a chuck roll from them sometime soon.

Joe P., definitely worth the drive eastward a bit and Rich, living in Clarendon Hill, they have to be right around the corner.

Thanks for the info. 63rd & Cass isn't that much further than the Woodridge Sam's Club so I'll definitely be visiting them.

Thanks guys - I went to Westbrook Market today and while they didn't have any briskets, they did have some nice pork butts for $1.19 a pound. Will continue to check to see if they have any closer to the 4th of July weekend.

Just wanted to let the western burbs of Chicago know that I got a 12 1/2 lb brisket from Nature's Best Foods today for $1.99 lb. I know that in Texas or Arkansas that would be paying way too much but this is Chicago where it is damn hard to even find a brisket. They normally don't carry them but they get them for summer holidays and said that they would order them for us if we want any more.

BTW, Westbrook Market didn't have any briskets but did have some nice Boston Butts for $1.19 a pound.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back