Brisket Beauty! I'm 2 for 4 so Far

Steve_Williams

TVWBB Fan
Hi Brothers and Sisters,

I have been shaking in my shoes as I have cooked 4 briskets but 2 of my 4 times were great and 2 dry. This last brisket turned out the best of them all. I am still looking for good tips on cooking brisket.

Here is what I did. Prep the the 11 lb packer night before and up at 5:30 am to light a 1/2 chimney and a full tray on my 18.5 WSM. Used some hickory and apple wood, water in the pan and a maverick monitoring system. Problem, fire just a bit too hot and WSM was 265-275 then stayed at 250. After 2 hours I was already at 158'F for the brisket. This happened in the past where I was going too fast (so I think). At 5 hours I was at 180'F. At 7 hours as I moved the temp probe I saw lots of juice coming out so I wrapped it . At 8 hours I was at 205'F and I double wrapped the brisket and took off WSM. I thought I was in trouble because my cook time was shorter than anticipated. I started at 6 am and was done by 2 pm.

Sorry nothing plated - I was eating off the cutting board.

IMG_0556.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Early dinner - it turn out great but I was ready for a 10-12 hour cook. I guess I should not be complaining!

IMG_0557.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Steve

Haven't posted in a while but I also wanted to say the other problem briskets for me were flats only and 6-7 lbs. They were dry.

Looks like a nice brisket! If you are running hot, try use less coal when you start your fire next time. I usually only start my smoker with 10-15 coals.

Looks super, I did a 5 pounder this past weekend and it was done in about 9 hrs. I always use my maverick, but now I have been also using the fork method talked about here...if it goes in like butter pull it. It is something that takes time to get used to for sure...... but the pros here keep learnin me!

Steve that brisket looks real good, do as said above and start with fewer coals and once it hits a temp of around 200 make sure you start cutting down the lower vents to about 1/8th. It will still rise but slower and I always end up shutting down the one facing any breeze completely as it gets around where I want it.

Thanks for all the great comments. I've cooked 2 flats that were done in 4-6 hours and dry. Not sure why I could not get to cook a flat beyond 4-6 hours. It seems like the 10 plus pound packers are the way to go.

Maybe has to do with the brisket itself.

Last edited:

Back