Brisket and Pork shoulder Smoke help

Chris C

TVWBB Fan
I have a 12.5 lb brisket and 2 7lb pork shoulders. was going to put the brisket on at 5pm hoping for a 12pm finish time the next day. My question is, when I put the pork shoulders on later that night(around midnight) should I add more charcoal and some more wood chunks for the shoulder? My thought was that if I added more charcoal at that time then I would be set for the rest of the night and I wouldnt have to add to the charcoal in the wee hours of the morning. Any advice would be appreciated.

Not one on mixing butts and briskets because I like briskets cooked higher and foiling after 160ish but I wouldn't add more fuel til morning if needed. Just get up early and peek in the door. I get 17+ out of a FULL load of Stubbs if started minion style with 12-15 lit (18.5) or 20 with the 22.5.

thanks Glenn, I cooked this way once before and brisket took a lot longer than expected, ended up foiling and throwing in the over for 1 hour to finish, so I thought I would try it this way today.

Chris, other than pulling a grate or two of ribs out to start chicken on the bottom rack, I prefer to start my meats at about the same time since bbq keeps well in a hot cooler for several hours anyway.

To avoid juggling racks since the butts should be done first, and since the brisket isn't too big, I'd put the brisket on the bottom rack. Pork-basted brisket bark is YUMMY.

As for adding charcoal during a cook, I don't remember the last time I had to add. I try to cook at about 235-250* measured in the dome vent, use a Brinkman (ECB) water smoker charcoal pan as my WATER pan (to fit more fuel underneath in the ring), and prefer Stubbs briquettes for their longevity and much less propensity to suffocate on their own ash.

Happy Memorial Day.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I cooked this way once before and brisket took a lot longer than expected

Another reason I don't do them together. The flat is done much sooner than the point. I seperate when the flat is tender and put the point back on for another 1.5-2.5hrs. You should be fine for 10-12 hrs as long as your not cooking to high.

Glenn, in terms of cooking times to tenderness, I don't notice a difference between the flat and the point when cooking around 250*. I pull the brisket off to rest when it's tender in the thickest part of the flat, and the point is typically just as tender or moreso.

However, if you want more of that point fat to be cooked out, chop a good chunk off the point end so that the brisket fits the grate better, and you'll kill two birds with one stone.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

and the point is typically just as tender or moreso

Tender...... absolutely! However I like the point more rendered than when the flat is done. The point is super tender before the flat is done but not to my liking because of the high fat ratio. To me the point is for burnt ends/chili/other left over goodies and the flat is for sliced up goodness!

I kind of thought after I posted that was probably what you meant. Lots of good bbq restaurants, especially in Texas, serve the point sliced like the flat, but well before most of the fat is rendered. I like the idea of putting the point back on if going to slice it, but if not, cutting a big chunk off the end is a good way to help it cook faster, get more bark, and help it fit the grate better if you have an 18.5" or similiar sized smoker like an egg.

Good point (pun intended). If a thin whole packer, I do slice up whole. But a thick one I prefer to seperate as there is way too much fat for me.

Most of the packers I do are 15-18lb and very thick.

Thanks for info, just got done trimming fat off, dropped it Down to just over 9 lbs. I am a little disappointed on the amount of fat on this brisket, Real thin point, only second one I have bought. so I figured I would put them all at same time and cut the point up and add to baked beans for some flavor.

I am a little disappointed on the amount of fat on this brisket,

Your saying too much or not enough fat? I don't trim much, other than the hard fat in the seam where they meet at.

to much fat, I trimmed the top, to where there is just about 1/4 inch all across the cap, trimmed out a little where they meet.

Back