Briquettes or Hard Wood? Or Combo of Both?

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings fellow Weber-heads.

I've been thinking about moving to hard wood instead of briquettes. Any suggestions, experiences either way?
Any brands you'd recommend?

Thanks.

Are you talikng lump? If so it is best to just experiment and find what you like, Cowboy is good and readily available, but maybe you're just talking hardwood, not sure.

There are some guys who just burn hardwoood chunks and do fine. Lump is ok, less ash, but seems to need smokewood
to make it happy. I like Royal Oak for briquettes and lump. Try a few different kinds and see what you like. Burn some
oak chunks too. Just experiment, see whats out there.

Kind of a religious debate between lump and kingsford. I tried some Stubbs hardwood briquettes with succes and lump as well. I don't notice much difference in the end product taste since I use smoke wood with both. Burn temps are significantly different so you'll have to learn your pit behavior for each. I don't know why you would mix lump and kingsford and cancel out the benefits of each. I found I like using lump a lot in my kettle for steaks or chops, but I usually buy 200 lbs of kingsford at home depot on memorial day for .35 a pound. Keeps my wife from using up my "extra" garage space with her junk. :)

If I had the time and space, I would love to do an all hardwood smoke like real pitmasters do. But the heat isn't predictable enough and frankly, I've no desire to watch over something for 18 hours.

I switched to using Royal Oak (easy to find) lump on my kettle and UDS, but I usually start it with lit briquettes because they're easier to portion out in the chimney starter.
There's a lot less ash with lump.
When I do steaks in the kettle I light a chimney full of lump with a couple of mesquite chunks mixed in.

I use briquettes when I am grilling (usually toss in a piece of hickory wood though). When I am smoking, I use lump with pieces of wood for flavoring

Back