Brining Bucket

Go to homeDepot and get one of the orange plastic buckets with a lid. I believe they have trangle with a 2 on the bottom of them. I was told this is a symbol for food grade plastic. Vince

Not food grade. But either (maybe both) Lowe's or HD sells food grade buckets, they are white and typically cost about $1 more than their regular buckets. They are located in the paint section.

Not food grade. But either (maybe both) Lowe's or HD sells food grade buckets, they are white and typically cost about $1 more than their regular buckets. They are located in the paint section.

Steve, are you sure about this? If it is sold to hold water or other liquids, one would think that it has to be food grade? Just wondering.

Steve, are you sure about this? If it is sold to hold water or other liquids, one would think that it has to be food grade? Just wondering.

Food grade plastic buckets are labelled as such. Many are stamped with a "cup and fork" symbol indicating food grade.

dR9KRIl.png

Just because a bucket has a "2" on the bottom or is intended to hold water or other liquids (e.g. dish soap, liquid detergent, paint, etc) does not indicate food grade.

Food grade is the result of the purity of material used, not the type of material used. Not all #2 plastic is the same in terms of purity when it comes to food contact.

On The Home Depot website, the product info for the Homer Bucket says:

• Use for mixing paint, hauling topsoil, storing parts and for other purposes
  • Ideal for use as a utility pail on work sites
  • Holds up to a 9 in. bucket grid
  • Plastic construction for durability
  • Orange color with the Home Depot logo
  • Buckets are not food grade

More info: Food Grade Plastic Containers For Brining

Looks like it's better quality with a slightly higher price. Glad to hear you like how this one works, always looking for recommendations!

Rubbermaid 5 Gallon Modern Blue Water Jug Cooler: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0058P0OPS/tvwb-20

I like the fact that the lid screws on. I'm sure the pop on kind are fine for Gatorade at a game, but I use the top to keep the ice packs submerged and I'd be afraid they would cause it to pop off. Also, I wanna keep animals out.

Bill

Has anyone here tried "The Briner"?
Several members have posted positive comments over the years. No doubt it works as advertised. But I've had good success with free buckets from restaurants and a heavy dinner plate to keep the meat submerged. Price: $0.00.

just got back from Restaurant Depot... They carry a large selection of containers for turkeys, chickens or ANYTHING i'd want to brine, and of course, they are all food safe.

Back