Brine the Turkey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides, Chris, if everyone here goes out of their way to agree with each other and stroke the moderator, it will be a very boring forum. While I am confident in what I believe and say, I also have an open mind. Explain something to me that I'm wrong about in a way that makes sense, or provide evidence of its accuracy, and I will change my position.

Ray: you had wondered "how much wet salt and sugar weigh after it dries out a little? In this case, maybe about 6 to 8 ounces?

quoted from http://www.cbbqa.com/faq/10-5.html

I tried concentrations from 10% down to 2%, and the main difference was in the amount of saltiness - the texture was improved even with a fairly weak brine. Incidentally, if you're worried about sodium intake, remember that the meat absorbs only 10% to 15% of the brine - roughly 1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt per turkey.
---------
The bird was not all that bad. It was not as wonderful as it could have been.
1. I could not taste any salt in the meat. Neither did the wife of the any guest.
2. The breast meat was dry, the dark meat wonderful.
3. I think my temp probe is off. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif The thigh was at 185 when it came off. I got side tracked picking black berries.
4. The wife told me that the WSM was worth the price /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif (she or no one else did not complain too much about dry breast meat. The dark meat was perfect).
5. fyi - there is at least three WSM's on ebay currently going for a maximum amount of less than ten bucks.

Dave,

My query about how much the salt and sugar weighed was mostly tongue-in-cheek, not serious. However, I would consider 1.5 Tbs of salt to be quite a bit of salt. Sprinkle that much over your next turkey and see what you think.

The quote also says that the main difference was in the amount of saltiness. I wonder why you were not able to taste any? Just as with using table salt on any other food, it acts as a flavor enhancer.

As for the texture, I don't care much for it, after brining. I also don't care much for these pre-injected turkeys, either. I want it to be moist, but firm. What did you think of the texture? How was the skin?

Unless I overcooked, I have never had a dry turkey breast. It doesn't take very long to start drying out, once it gets done, so watch it close near the end. You might like to try one without brining and see what you think. After all, you are the ultimate judge of what you like.

You can check the accuracy of your probe in a pan of boiling water. If it's within a few degrees of 212?F, it should be fine.

Ray,

The Weber thermometer reads 150 at boiling. Our other (old Taylor Meat Dial ) reads 200. My initial thought at seeing that was along the lines of ?Ow my God.?

No salt taste.

So, I guess some new thermometers just went to the top of the 'just-gotta-have' list? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

This may very well explain why the breast was dry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]...if everyone here goes out of their way to...stroke the moderator, it will be a very boring forum.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not for the moderator...he likes strokes! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[qb]You said, "The salt is not used in a flavor brine for its ability to fight bacteria...” While that may not be the users intent, I would suggest they be glad that it does! Otherwise, keeping turkey, chicken, game hens, etc. in the danger zone for an extended time is like playing Russian roulette.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Again, it's my understanding that a flavor brine does not have a high enough salt concentration to fight bacteria in meat in a meanful way. A quote earlier in this thread said, "Microbial testing also showed slightly lower populations of various bacteria in the brined chicken than in the others."

My main concern here is that I don't want to give people the impression that flavor brining has a role in preserving meat. For that you need a much higher salt concentration or you should use Prague Powder #1 (sodium nitrite), Morton's Tender Quick, etc.

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So, I guess some new thermometers just went to the top of the 'just-gotta-have' list? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The Weber thermometer is already in the trash. I should have tortured it a bit with the grinder but in the past (years ago) it gave good service on the Weber gas grill. The Taylor I have is semi-accurate. The temp noted here (above) was taken with the Taylor. So, basically I over cooked it by an hour - because the temp of the grill (at the air vent) was 50(?) degrees higher than I thought. Mostly it ran at 300 or so, figure that the turkey level ran at 310-320. If the temp really was 370 I over cooked it by an hour. /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif Next time I see a good meat thermometer I am going to get it.

Amazon reviews tell me that the fancy remote digital one's have a habit of dying. True?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
This may very well explain why the breast was dry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes. I was watching the temp at the top and counted in my head approximately how long it should take for the size of the bird. The thermometer was to confirm that it is done. I thought I had enough time to go pick blackberries. At that time the bird was probably done (Picking took about an hour).

Chris,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Not for the moderator...he likes strokes! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Okay, I will give you, and the other participants of this thread, one - I understand and accept your reasons and distinction between brining for flavor and moisture and brining for the purpose of curing (preserving) meats. There, like that one? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

But...(you just knew it was coming, didn't you?)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Again, it's my understanding that a flavor brine does not have a high enough salt concentration to fight bacteria in meat in a meanful way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If brine is not concentrated enough to work, what?s the purpose of using it? If it is strong enough to work, the only variable left is the amount of time the food is exposed to it. Granted, a few hours are not enough to completely cure a turkey (or, anything else, for that matter). Curing is simply the process of conditioning meat in such a way as to slow down or stop the growth of bacteria. The degree to which this is done is variable, depending on brine concentration, meat thickness, and amount of time the meat remains in the brine.

Using the U of I Web site that I referred to earlier for reference, here are the numbers:

Brines have a specific gravity or salimeter reading from 40 to 100 degrees
Salt weighs 10.5 oz per cup
Water weighs 8.3 lb (132.8 oz) per gallon
A 100 degree pickle has a specific gravity of 1.208 and is a solution of 26.3%
A 50 degree pickle has a specific gravity of 1.01 and is a solution of 13.15%

For a 1 cup salt + 1 gallon water brine:
132.8 + 10.5 = 143.3 oz
(10.5 / 143.30) X 100 = 7.32% salt solution
(7.32 / 26.3) X 100 = 27.83 degrees

For a 2 cup salt + 1 gallon water brine:
132.8 + 21 = 153.8 oz
(21 / 153.8) X 100 = 13.65% salt solution
(13.65% / 26.3) X 100 = 51.9 degrees

Some use the measure of being able to float an egg. Well, since an egg typically has a specific gravity of between 1.07 and 1.09, you can clearly see that it is well within the range specified for brines used for curing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A quote earlier in this thread said, "Microbial testing also showed slightly lower populations of various bacteria in the brined chicken than in the others." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>While this may very well be true, another consideration is the bacteria?s rate of growth. I contend that the rate of bacterial growth in a properly ?brined for flavor and moisture? turkey must be slower than in one that has not been brined. The extent to which it is slowed depends, of course, on the strength of the brine and the time the turkey remains in it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My main concern here is that I don't want to give people the impression that flavor brining has a role in preserving meat. For that you need a much higher salt concentration or you should use Prague Powder #1 (sodium nitrite), Morton's Tender Quick, etc. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Agreed. And, everyone should understand that a day or two is not enough time to completely cure (preserve) a turkey. So, if a small amount of flavor brining is not enough to slow down the growth of bacteria, why would someone cook it slow enough for it to remain in the danger zone for more than two hours?

For some good, basic information about curing, visit the U of I Meat Curing Web Page and/or do a Web search for additional information on meat curing and brines.

Besides not caring for the meat texture, skin, and flavor of a brined turkey, my major concern is having the turkey remain within the danger zone of 40?F to 140? as long as it would be if cooked at the lower temperatures that some are using (~ 250?F). Perhaps an overnight exposure to a 40 degree brine is enough, I don?t know. Perhaps one that has been ?flavor enhanced? injected by the processor is enough, I don?t know that, either. So, for my family and me, I will not do so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Munson:
Next time I see a good meat thermometer I am going to get it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You might like to look at the Poulder (available from the TVWB Web site) or, if you want a wireless remote, the NU-Temp (look under BBQ Accessories).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Amazon reviews tell me that the fancy remote digital one's have a habit of dying. True? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My main thermometers are a NU-Temp NU-701 and a Sunbeam Temp-Time. I haven't had any problems with them. I checked them again, today, and they both bounced between 210?F and 211?F, in boiling water.

Dave, I'm with Ray on the NU-TEMP NU-701 they are great. Read my post about it (NU-701 Udate in the Beginner's Forum)her is a link to them clik on BBQ accessories.It's the simple wireless remote thermometer. wireless thermometers /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back