Breaking Down a Pork Butt (buckboard bacon update)

Well, I tried this yesterday with a boneless butt from Costco. Following Jeff's excellent post with great photos cued up on the computer as I went, I put the butt fat cap down as instructed... and proceeded to lose my way.

I looked to where the bone came out, but the orientation looked opposite of the photos (opposite side shoulder?). The money muscle was fairly obvious, so that came off first. Tried to find the trapezoid muscle next... would have been much easier with the bone-in for reference... so many "chunks" flopping around....

So I just started cutting up the rest of the butt where there were obvious sections. I DID find what appeared to be the "buckboard bacon" part, so that was weighed, the cure was measured out and applied, and into the fridge it went. The rest of the cuts were separated for different purposes - three pieces went on the kettle yesterday for BBQ'd pork "strips", wife is making carnitas tacos tonight, and the rest will go into the dutch oven tomorrow with some Penzey's 33rd and Galena rub.

Jeff, as I said, your post is great with excellent photos! I just kind of lost my way with no bone to reference. I'll probably try it with a bone-in butt one of these days, again using your tutorial while I go.

Thanks for the post!

Thanks Mike!

Yes, we should assume things might look different if it came off the other side of the pig, and there are no way of knowing what a boneless one will look like. I'm sure it'll be a ton easier with the bone in for reference.

He's a couple more recent applications of shoulder cuts:

shoulder bacon cured with miso
IMG_7694.JPG

pork marsala made from underblade cutlets
IMG_6764.JPG

I sliced the underblade into double thick cutlets and butterflied each and pounded them out. 2 underblades yielded enough cutlets to fill the 13" pan. The underblade cutlets have a nice texture, flavor, and stayed moist. I'm digging it as an alternative to loin.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm integrated by the miso cured bacon. Care to share your technique? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

miso bacon

Hi Guys,
I've made Buckboard Bacon a couple of times using a whole BB that i boned out, but i did not separate into finite pieces. Wanting to use this thread, then cutting and using butt bacon cut for my Buckboard bacon. What cure do you suggest??? The High Mountain BuckboardBacon Cure or the orginal MTQ.
Thanks
I need all the help i can get
Tommt

Well, I tried this yesterday with a boneless butt from Costco. Following Jeff's excellent post with great photos cued up on the computer as I went, I put the butt fat cap down as instructed... and proceeded to lose my way.

I looked to where the bone came out, but the orientation looked opposite of the photos (opposite side shoulder?). The money muscle was fairly obvious, so that came off first. Tried to find the trapezoid muscle next... would have been much easier with the bone-in for reference... so many "chunks" flopping around....

So I just started cutting up the rest of the butt where there were obvious sections. I DID find what appeared to be the "buckboard bacon" part, so that was weighed, the cure was measured out and applied, and into the fridge it went. The rest of the cuts were separated for different purposes - three pieces went on the kettle yesterday for BBQ'd pork "strips", wife is making carnitas tacos tonight, and the rest will go into the dutch oven tomorrow with some Penzey's 33rd and Galena rub.

Jeff, as I said, your post is great with excellent photos! I just kind of lost my way with no bone to reference. I'll probably try it with a bone-in butt one of these days, again using your tutorial while I go.

Thanks for the post!

I kinda lost my way, too. Jeff's instructions were spot on. My interpretation not so much. I'll try it again soon.

Last edited:
Bumping this thread since I thought it needed bumping for newer members.

Butts are on sale here this week for 99 cents per lb.
I need to sharpen knives, and get out the meat grinder.

Thanks for bumping this, and thanks to the OP. That is some top notch butchery!

Also Bob Correll, I like your signature

Last edited:

Back